• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dolomites hut to hut hiking

coleyfagiole

10+ Posts
So this has become a bucket list trip that may happen this summer! But I don't quite know where to start. I am thinking of the set-up where I do the hiking and my things magically appear at the next stop where I enjoy a beautiful dinner, sunset and slumber until the next day's trek.

Other considerations:

Nothing too strenuous, but I definitely want it to include a via ferrata.
Otherwise just 3-4 days of clear air and spectacular scenery (and of course good food).
I may be solo, but may bring along one of my college-aged kids.

It seems the locales are Brenta, Alpe di Suisi, and some others, but I can't discern any differences among them. I have also come across a couple of guides, but am looking to this seasoned and like-minded group for recommendations.

Grazie mille!

I was sure there were vie ferrate signposted around Pradel (above Molveno) and a quick google search confirmed that
Not that we undertook one, as I'm rather scared of heights, so these would be beyond my happiness.

In terms of location, Molveno certainly has a lot going for it, with all scenery and no boring filler! It's linked by bus from Trento and is a nice option for 2-3 days relaxation after a hut to hut period of trekking - or alternatively a 'base' on which to venture out on walking routes / via ferrata route. Places like Fai de Paganella may offer a useful start or end point to connect with Pradel and thence Molveno, but I've not looked in any detail at routes.

Likewise I can't comment on difficulty, but the above tourist office link suggests there are suitable entry level vie ferrate. I daresay the weather can make a big difference.

There certainly are some great walks there, including foregoing the new gondola ski life in Molveno and walking up instead. The lungs certainly get a good workout at altitude, so much so that arriving back in the UK after a week there, and getting on the cycle the next day, I was amazed at how easier it felt cycling - this altitude training lark does work!

I hope this helps, and I've no doubt the Alpe di Suisi would be just as good.

Never did any outings in the Dolomites, but my advice to everyone who is doing any type of ascent is to learn how to "rest step" -- it's simple to do and makes an amazing difference. Even the relatively low altitudes of the Dolomites can wear on you with a lot of uphills, so pace and enjoy.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina