• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Donna Leon's New Book

Sharon J

100+ Posts
I just ordered her new book, due out on April 4th. Title, Earthly Remains. I pre-ordered for my Kindle. I should have mentioned that it's a Brunetti Book, taking place in Venice, although I think he ventures out of town a bit this time.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a better read as well. I think it said Brunetti's wife was sending him off to a Villa on the Amalfi Coast. Can't remember. Did I mention that Brunetti was in Venice filming an episode while we there last May? They were kind of all over the place. We always stay in the ground floor Tiepolo Apartment on the Grand Canal. Later that afternoon, we noticed a commotion going on at the water door. We took a look and low and behold, there was Brunetti getting out of the boat, coming into our building. The owner of the building later told us, he ALWAYS rents the apartment upstairs when in town. She said his wife loves the apartment. I would think so, since that is the Piano Grande!!!

I stopped reading her a few books ago and would appreciate a review of this one to see if I should start again.
Will do. Flying to California for a visit to my hometown of Riverside. Haven't been home for a long time. Looking forward to reading her book on those two very long 5 hour flights.

I've started reading Earthly Remains (actually listening to the audiobook), and it does not take place on the Amalfi Coast. The villa where Guido goes is on the island of Sant'Erasmo, in the Venetian lagoon. I saw the Kindle listing though and was kind of shocked to see that the price is $15.68. The prices of ebooks are certainly going up. I think that may be the highest I've seen for a popular novel. More incentive to use the library!

I'm pretty sure this is the balcony up to the right, that is used as the location of Brunetti's home in the TV series.
Every time we rode up the Grand Canal I was furiously searching for it!
If you haven't seen the programs, they aren't bad.
You just have to overlook that they are speaking Italian with German accents, with English subtitles.
IMG_0855.JPG

I do believe that is the balcony. We always see it, when returning to the Palazzo we stay in near there. It always appeared a bit cleaner, however. I won't be reading the new book as soon as I thought, as my trip to California, was canceled on Friday. Seems Delta can't get their act together in Atlanta, after all the storms last week. Of course, they lied for hours, moving the time, but finally telling us, there were no planes available, especially in Atlanta.

Thanks for the island information. Kind of wish he were going to the Amalfi Coast, however. We have all the DVD's, and do enjoy getting our Venice Fix, when we feel the need.

Since my husband still has to go to San Diego on business, he is trying to go again today. I was tagging along so I visit my hometown, Riverside. Just received a text, that he may be out of luck again, Seems the pilots have all timed out, so tons of cancellations again. They did reroute him through New York instead of Atlanta, but that isn't helping either.

Great article, DD -- thank you. How sad that Venice has become so intolerably crowded and polluted that Donna Leon has mostly relocated to Switzerland.

We have finished listening to the audiobook of Earthly Remains. Mike and I agreed that we really enjoyed the first part, where Guido is on Sant'Erasmo, and spending a lot of time rowing around the lagoon. We were less entranced with the latter part. I don't want to get into a lot of detail, in order to avoid spoilers. But if anyone would like to listen to the audiobook, I can "gift" a copy of our Audible book to one person. It doesn't commit you to anything, although I imagine Audible will keep after you to try to get you to sign up for a membership.

Anyway, I will send the link for the free copy to the first person who asks for it. Please send me your email in a private message if you're interested. The reader, by the way, is very good.

I just read it this week, and really enjoyed it.
However, it doesn't have much about Paola in it, and I always enjoy her character.
Wish they would make more TV series.....

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina