• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dorset For An Extended Stay

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Well, our plans for 2018 are taking shape. So far we have an 11 night stay in SE England, followed by a 2 week stay in Yorkshire. After that we'll head back south. We'll have 8 1/2 weeks for an extended stay in Dorset and 10-14 days in Ireland.

Seven weeks in Dorset sounds wonderful to me! The first 2 legs of our trip will include lots of sightseeing, but I'm hoping to settle in a little more while we're in Dorset, have some lazy days at 'home', enjoy some local walks, and yes, a few days of sightseeing will be included.

Since @Pauline and Steve chose to settle in Bridport I'd love to know why they chose this area over others, and get some recommendations for where to base. 7 weeks is too long to make a mistake - both the house and the location need to be right! Thanks in advance.

Not for a base, but Lulworth cove well worth a day trip. The photos online will give a decent impression of it's appeal.

I'd expected to like Dorchester, but instead it was one of those places that just didn't appeal - not helped by the planned accommodation being awful, so we ended up moving on. The location is nice and central, but I reckon being further west isn't a problem as it opens up Devon and perhaps even Somerset and Cornwall.

Bournemouth does have a lot, but also a lot of people and considering your preferences for accommodation, I'd steer clear of it, but certainly well worth a day trip, and has some of the finest beaches going, plus good places to walk.

What I can't really offer, is that perfect village to base in, that's easy to explore from, but provides a peaceful place to return to that will also appeal for a lazy day of just 'being' in the village. Hopefully others will be able to offer up ideas, but also worth a broad look at accommodation to see if there is anywhere that captures your heart.

Since @Pauline and Steve chose to settle in Bridport I'd love to know why they chose this area over others, and get some recommendations for where to base. 7 weeks is too long to make a mistake - both the house and the location need to be right! Thanks in advance.

I can visit any place you are thinking of to see if it is okay. We are away for almost 3 weeks after Easter, but could check anything before or after that.

Our priorities on where to live were clean air, good walking and away from large cities. I am happy with our choice. Bridport turned out to be a better town than I thought it would be. But there are many places here that would have been good. I think a town within a few miles of the sea would be good.

Bridport is population 12,000. You might look at Lyme Regis. Any town on or near the coast between Christchurch and Exeter outdoors be a good choice.

Dorchester is a bit far from the sea. I am liking it more these days. I don't know Weymouth but don't always hear the best things about it.

I'll be studying my map and checking out some towns. I tend to favor something close to the sea too, but wondered if for our 7 weeks stay it might be a bit too far for some of the day trips - but then I really don't have any sense of how long it takes to get from point A to point B, so more research. I also think on this leg of our trip we'll do a long weekend to the Isle of Wight.

Pauline, keep your eye out for any local rentals that we might not find on the larger websites!

Last edited:
This search is much more difficult than I anticipated! I thought a longer rental would be easier, but it's more difficult because we'll be in the house more, and we'll have to drive to/from the location for many weeks. With a short term rental you can put up with a smaller house to be conveniently located, or with a more remote location if the house is perfect, but for a longer rental both the house and the location are important!

I've put in hours and hours searching, and contacted several agencies - starting with local ones who might have a better knowledge of their listings - but the response hasn't been encouraging. Because our 7 week period is during high season, I've been told that owners will have no interest in giving any sort of discount, knowing that they can rent each week individually for the full price. Do I have unrealistic expectations? I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew (or afford).

That is the exact same problem we are encountering in Hilton Head, South Carolina for next year. We always rent for 6 weeks...mid Feb until the end of March. Next year, owners are no longer willing to give us a monthly or 6 week rate because they can rent for the full weekly price. I understand their position, but it is frustrating.

I have a long, long list of possibilities, but I haven't written to anyone yet. So many are rural locations, which is not exactly what I'm looking for, and many that are in larger towns don't have parking. Some don't have washing machines, and LOTS of places require you to bring your own towels! I found THIS ONE in Lyme Regis that seems to have everything we're looking for, including some sea views AND an outdoor space.

This thread will be okay to discuss rentals.

Inserting this to say I missed your Lyme Regis one. Lyme Regis would be a fabulous location. The town is beautiful and fun. Lots of tourists. We spent a week there the summer before last, during their regatta in July (the busiest time), and loved it. We like to visit Lyme.

That is a lovely area (north of Dorcester). It is near the Cerne Abbas Giant (always inspiring). The villages are pretty up there. Sherborne, to the north, is a beautiful village with good shops and restaurants. It should be cheaper up there than along the coast.

We could look at either of these next week if you are serious about them.

Places that have been holiday rentals forever are the ones that say bring your own towels and/or sheets. Don't let that put you off - I can give you two sets of towels (I have lots) - sheets too.

@Pauline , the Lyme Regis one is in my post just above the one that asked that question. Take a look at let me know if you think it's work a look.

I have written to both properties. I'm pretty sure the one north of Dorchester will be cheaper, but it's also larger - 2 bedrooms instead of just one. The one in Lyme Regis is smaller but still has an outdoor space and parking, but I'm sure will cost more.

I looked at the Lyme Regis one and it is a good location. The place looked a little cluttered, but the price is very good. Is there an apartment above? Probably.

Barb,
I share your pain. I thought I'd go mad figuring out where to stay for 1 week. Longer stay much more challenging. Having said that the Lyme Regis one looks good for your needs and the price is good if really 280 a week. I find prices change almost weekly depending on demand .
I haven't seen that many requesting you bring your own linen. But for a long stay you can buy inexpensive sheets and towel. If the place is right I wouldn't let that hold me back.

I'm waiting to hear back from both places. Hopefully they will quote me a price for 2018. @Pauline , the link for the Lyme Regis apt should take you to the apt info - it's attached to a 4 room B&B.

So if cost were no issue it sounds like the Lyme Regis location is the clear favorite. So far the Lyme REgis one is the best compromise of price/quality/size/features. It's always difficult to know for sure when it's your first time to the area. The more rural location seemed like it might be more central to places we'd want to visit, but maybe it's not a s well suited for walking - but it's England, isn't there good walking everywhere?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina