• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dream Vacation

Mac1947

10+ Posts
We're looking to take the Grand tour of Italy starting with Roma, Tivoli, Venice, Vicenza, Lake Garda, Milano, Portofino, Parma, Bologna, Rimini, Bevagna, Terni, Siena, Panzano, Florence, Sorrento and the Amlfi coast. While this looks busy it will be thirteen weeks in the making. Long stays mixed with short stays so we can stop and smell the air filled with sents of hurbs,cheeses, breads and Mama's meat sauce. We've discoved Airbnb as a fantastic resource to find good lodgings and become more of the fabric of where we stay. We're finding great reviews on most lodgings so will post our experiences on return. Any special places on the east coast around Rimini please advise, this will be our first time to explore south of Venice.

It's sad to see slow travel USA go away, our high point with them was the Savanna GTG, ghost stories, great food and great company, what a hoot!!

Mac & Karen

Mac & Karen,

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Camogli is a great substitute for Portofino, just around the Parco and is off the beaten path. You can take the ferry to a number of stops, including Portofino. South of Venice, Ravenna has eight Unesco World Heritage sites of Mosaics. Ferrara has been called an ideal city and is a nice visit.

In Rimini, please try the produce coming out of San Patrignano, a truly remarkable social initiative. The wines, especially the Sangiovese Riserva 'Avi' and Cabernet Sauvignon 'Montipirolo' are very good and very fairly priced, but I'd be keen to try their cheeses, breads etc.

Nearby, we've not yet been to Comacchio, but it sounds very interesting, though I'm not sure I share the locals enthusiasm for eels! Definitely agree on Ferrara being very appealing (indeed Rimini itself might be a bit 'Italian beach holiday touristy'). Likewise Ravenna has a wealth of historic sites and really didn't seem weighed down by tourism.

Siena wasn't a favourite, but the Friday morning farmers market in the old marketplace (just below the Palio) was as high quality as I've experienced anywhere. Not big, but consistently excellent, including wonderful bread.

It sounds like a wonderful trip! Any reason why you would spend time in both Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast? Where are you looking to stay on the AC?

Mac & Karen,

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Camogli is a great substitute for Portofino, just around the Parco and is off the beaten path. You can take the ferry to a number of stops, including Portofino. South of Venice, Ravenna has eight Unesco World Heritage sites of Mosaics. Ferrara has been called an ideal city and is a nice visit.

Thanks so much, Italy is a treasure box just wauting to be opened.

It sounds like a wonderful trip! Any reason why you would spend time in both Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast? Where are you looking to stay on the AC?
We've stayed in Sorrento in 05 and Praiano in 2010. Liked Sorrento for the train an access to Pompii and Ercolano and thinking of Salerno to see Paestum and maybe further in land just to see what there is to see, I hear the natives are friendly :)

Mac, we too have great memories of the Savannah GTG. It's great that so many of the old SlowTrav friends are now here on Pauline's Slow Europe.

Your trip sounds wonderful, and I look forward to hearing more.

We're glad to be here too. Maybe we can do another GTG in Charlston S. Carolina; it is just beautiful.

We're in the planing stage of the trip now and it still seams like a dream come true, hope to see other slow tripers on the trip.

Mac & Karen

In Rimini, please try the produce coming out of San Patrignano, a truly remarkable social initiative. The wines, especially the Sangiovese Riserva 'Avi' and Cabernet Sauvignon 'Montipirolo' are very good and very fairly priced, but I'd be keen to try their cheeses, breads etc.

Nearby, we've not yet been to Comacchio, but it sounds very interesting, though I'm not sure I share the locals enthusiasm for eels! Definitely agree on Ferrara being very appealing (indeed Rimini itself might be a bit 'Italian beach holiday touristy'). Likewise Ravenna has a wealth of historic sites and really didn't seem weighed down by tourism.

Siena wasn't a favourite, but the Friday morning farmers market in the old marketplace (just below the Palio) was as high quality as I've experienced anywhere. Not big, but consistently excellent, including wonderful bread.

Thanks Ian, the wine (always the wine) sounds like it must be investigated the seven days we're there!!! Can't be too careful you know, when you say the win is good you JUST have to be sure.

While I agree about the eels I'll have to try them, rattle snake taste like a cross between fish and chicken, different but not bad (hey, when you're hungry it's whatever you can cook).

Speaking of cooking, we were wondering about the produce and welcome the San Patrignano tip. Cooking in Italy is such a treat, it's almost impossible to cook a bad meal!

Mac & Karen

It's sad to see slow travel USA go away, our high point with them was the Savanna GTG, ghost stories, great food and great company, what a hoot!!

I was at Savanna too! I am the one who started Slow Travel (in 2000) and I am trying to re-create the SlowTrav atmosphere here.

You have 17 destinations in 13 weeks. That is a lot of moving around. Some could be combined if you wanted to stay longer in one place. Terni and Bevagna could be combined. Stay in Bevagna and do a day trip to Terni. Same for Panzano and Siena. And Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.

I second the recommendation of staying in Camogli (or in Santa Margherita Ligure ) instead of Portofino (very expensive, long road into it) and of visiting Ravenna (notes on Ravenna).

I am not sure how interesting Salerno would be for a stay. You could stay south of Paestum in Castellabate (on the sea). If you want to get off the beaten track, head further south to Maratea, a seaside Basilicata town (notes on Maratea).

Mac1947 what a trip! I must say if I had 13 weeks and enjoyed wine, I would definitely add time in Piemonte and then some quiet time in the Bay of Poets in Ligura, Once there seek out one of the hardest to find wines in the world - Sciacchetrà. Look forward to following your trip.

I was at Savanna too! I am the one who started Slow Travel (in 2000) and I am trying to re-create the SlowTrav atmosphere here.

You have 17 destinations in 13 weeks. That is a lot of moving around. Some could be combined if you wanted to stay longer in one place. Terni and Bevagna could be combined. Stay in Bevagna and do a day trip to Terni. Same for Panzano and Siena. And Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.

I second the recommendation of staying in Camogli (or in Santa Margherita Ligure ) instead of Portofino (very expensive, long road into it) and of visiting Ravenna (notes on Ravenna).

I am not sure how interesting Salerno would be for a stay. You could stay south of Paestum in Castellabate (on the sea). If you want to get off the beaten track, head further south to Maratea, a seaside Basilicata town (notes on Maratea).

PAULINE!!!

So good to "hear" from you!!

The trip is in flux (fancy way to say "we're going where??) but starting in Roma for 6 nights then Tivoli two or three nights.

Back to Roma and fly to Venice for 5nights, rent car and start our gipsy life in Vicenza, three nights ( Palladio & jewelry ).

Lake Garda one night ( coffee overlooking the lake in the morning).

Milano maybe three nights then 13 nights somewhere ( Camogli sounds good, Parma, Bologna for a cooking class or straight to Ravenna/Rimini ).

Bevagna for seven nights. Terni, Orvieto, Todi and Piegaro are being looked at for seven nights.

Somewhere near or in Panzano for seven nights (wine region the reason ;-).

Poggibonsi will be the last stop in Tuscany for 14 nights ( Lucca, Pisa, Pistoia, Prato, Volterra, Firenze).

THEN on to Sorrento area for three weeks looking to move once or twice to see as much as possible ( Pompeii, Ercolano, San Marzano, Paestum, any Ideas? ) before returning to Roma to celebrate my birthday and head home the next day.

As the trip becomes more real the days at each spot will firm up as I'm looking for ideas of things to see and restaurants to experience from members of my new blog home.

Mac & Karen

Hi Mac, good to see you.

Last night we watched a PBS show on Baiae/Baia that we had recorded "recently". Fascinating, and if you are going to be exploring the Campania territory you might want to check it out. Just an addition to your Paestum and Pompei (going there in a couple of weeks), time.

BUT POGGIBONSI!!! Oh, you are a brave man. I agree it is a great core location/launching off spot...

I will be watching this thread. Wendy

Hi Mac,

We have spent a lot of time in Chianti over the past 10 years (we lead a tour there), first based in Panzano and now in Castellina, so we know that area well.

On a hilltop outside Greve (just a few miles from Panzano) is a magical place - Castello di Colognole. Here's their own website http://www.castellodicolognole.it/ and also a link to their VRBO listing https://www.vrbo.com/91766ha where you can read reviews. The hosts are two sisters... the most wonderful people. There's a beautiful garden, amazing views... all worth the precarious gravel road you travel uphill to get there. (But you're just five minutes or so from Greve.) The Bacco apartment is my favorite, but the other apartment is very special too.

Another place I could suggest is in the Conca d'Ora (golden bowl) of Panzano, on a small family-owned wine estate... also wonderful people. They have two rentals on the property, simple, but everything you need. This could be another possibility, also with amazing views. http://www.castellodicolognole.it/ (look at the "apartments").

Or Nora has a cashmere goat farm and a great rental house... spectacular views, a pool... and goats. This is outside Radda-in-Chianti, with views up to Volpaia. http://www.chianticashmere.com/en/Vacation-rental/

Just one other thing I wanted to bring up... Panzano and Poggibonsi are only about 40 minutes apart. Maybe you'd want to stay all three weeks in just one place, slow it down a bit more and really have an experience in living somewhere, perhaps doing a few longer day trips.

Happy to help more if I can, at least about this area.

Kathy

Kathy - I would like to visit Panzano when we are in Italy this Sept/October. Just a day trip from the villa we have rented near San Gusme. We have visited many of the towns in the Chianti region before, but never this one. I know nothing about it, but had noted it as a town I thought we would like to see. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat there?

@Mom83 Panzano is a small town and it won't take you long to look around. It sits on the crest of a hill with vineyards on both sides, so the setting is quite spectacular.

The most famous restaurants are run by legendary butcher Dario Cecchini. http://www.dariocecchini.com/dariocecchini/en/ You can visit his butcher shop and eat at one of the restaurants. There is a lot of focus on meat, of course. The "Dario Doc" is a simple lunch place with a good hamburger (their version of a hamburger).

You could also consider Ristorante Oltre il Giardino or Il Vescovino if you wanted a more traditional lunch, including pasta. For something really simple, there's a little wine bar on the main square with tables by the fountain that offers meals. But my choice-- if you'd be making a day trip-- is to drive up the twisty road on the other side of the valley to Ristoro di Lamole, one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. The combination of the setting, the food, and the welcoming service... it's an idyllic lunch. (I blogged about it here: http://slowtraveltours.com/blog/chianti-experience-dinner-at-lamole/)

See this thread also https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...suggestions-in-the-greve-area.817/#post-11947. There are some good suggestions for restaurants in the Greve/Panzano area.

@Mac1947 , sorry to hijack your thread!

Thanks, Kathy! Yes, we have eaten at Ristoro di Lamole before! I appreciate the other suggestions.

Hi Mac, good to see you.

Last night we watched a PBS show on Baiae/Baia that we had recorded "recently". Fascinating, and if you are going to be exploring the Campania territory you might want to check it out. Just an addition to your Paestum and Pompei (going there in a couple of weeks), time.

BUT POGGIBONSI!!! Oh, you are a brave man. I agree it is a great core location/launching off spot...

I will be watching this thread. Wendy

We will not be staying IN Poggibonsi but a agriturismo north of the city about four miles, it only takes about eight minutes to get to the Florence/Siena super strata if we decide to stay there. We enjoyed our stay there in 2005 but, as the post says, everything is in flux.

Thanks for the info about Baiae/Baia I'll see if I can find the video, by the way Wendy, your picture shows you changed your hair style. ;)

Mac & Karen

Kathy - I would like to visit Panzano when we are in Italy this Sept/October. Just a day trip from the villa we have rented near San Gusme. We have visited many of the towns in the Chianti region before, but never this one. I know nothing about it, but had noted it as a town I thought we would like to see. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat there?

There is only ONE place to eat in Pazano..DARIO CECCHINI's "beef or not to beef, that is the question!" You will enjoy the dinner or lunch if you can get in. It's VERY popular among those in the know and Slow Travel members, just GREAT beef, we plan to eat there Every night we can, it's that good.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina