• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Driving From Barcelona to Umbria

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll arrive in Barcelona next spring and will pick up our rental car at the airport, then drive to Umbria. Jetlag won't be a factor since we're arriving by ship, but the total drive time is 12+ hours so we will be dividing the trip into (at least) 2 days. So - where to stop along the way?

We've been to Genoa before, and altho I loved the city I hated trying to drive in it, and it may be a little too far - 8.5 hours. Nice is about 6.5 hours. Any ideas for somewhere else in between the two? Or should we just drive til we're tired and then look for something? It'll be mid-May, so hopefully there will be availability. Has anyone else made this drive?

We have not done this drive, but have driven most of it at different times. I would stop the first night in either Aix-en-Provence or Arles. Arles would be easier - it is a smaller town and the autoroute goes right through the town. Here are my notes on Arles. We spent 3 nights there and loved the town. Nimes is close to your route, but it is a complicated drive from the autoroute to the town center (we stayed there once for a week).

If you want to drive further, don't stop in Nice - too large a city - instead stop in Antibes where we were in October, or Menton.

For a second night, San Remo in Italy or further along south of Genoa - Camogli, Sestri Levante?

A quick look at the map makes me think Antibes might be perfect. Arles is only 4 1/2 hours from Barcelona, and we'd probably want to drive further than that in one day. Menton is just over 7 hours, and if we get lost - a definite possibility, even with GPS! - then it becomes a very long day. Antibes is 6 1/2 hours from BCN, so even allowing for mistakes we should still be able to arrive and settle in before it's dark and before our patience is exhausted. We plan to pick up the care early (the ship will be docked by 7 a.m.) so theoretically we should have plenty of time to relax at our hotel in Antibes.

I'm not sure if we'll stop a second night, or if we'll be to anxious to get to Umbria!

If you decide on Antibes I can send you the restaurant list our vacation rental agency gave us.

But mightn't it be fun to take your time doing the drive? You could do a few fun stops along the way.

Of course, I didn't think about that - luggage.

We were in a sandwich shop in Bridport the other day and they asked if we were here on holiday - so I still don't sound British. We still get asked where we are from frequently. At least it gets the conversation started.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina