• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Driving from Bordeaux to Prats de Carlux

Hilarie

10+ Posts
Coming into the Bordeaux St Jean train station at noon and driving over to a Prats de Carlux B&B. Anyone have suggestions/warnings about what route to take? Google maps shows the A89 toll road to be the fastest but we're not in a raging hurry, just as long as we make the B&B before nightfall and it's not too difficult to follow. Suggestions?

If I had all afternoon to make what is basically a 3-hour drive from Bordeaux-St-Jean to Carlux, I would definitely take the route that goes from Libourne to Sainte-Foy and on through Bergerac (Monbazillac) to Carlux. That's how you find your way in France — make a list of the main towns along the way and follow the signs fron each one to the next until you get to your destination. The route numbers are of secondary importance, because road signs will direct you to the next "big" town along the way.

Thank you, Ken! I know we'd like the scenery better on the "slow road" and, as long as the signs are fairly straightforward, we're up for a challenge. That's probably my biggest concern with going off-highway...getting irrevocably lost.
I see that, after Bergerac, we could take either a slightly northern road or one a bit south that follows more of the Dordogne river. Both ways end up in Sarlat so they'd both work for us. Have you driven the more southern road? We'll have a GPS in the rental car - which hopefully we can learn how to use on the fly!

We have not driven from Bordeaux to Sarlat but we did drive from St Emilion to Ste Foy when we were based near Duras. There are no problems but it is not terribly scenic , just built up all the way. We liked Bergerac. We always choose the more interesting route where possible when time permits and try to avoid toll roads. If you follow the river you will pass through some villages such as Lalinde , St Cyprien, Beynac which could be a bit slower. If you have a GPS you will be fine. As Ken says , you can just follow signs to larger towns so long as you know what towns you need to be looking for. We often plan our routes to allow for detours to see something - village, natural feature, church , bridge. Something we think we may not get back to visit.
Bon voyage.

Personally, I would detour to see Montaigne's château near Sainte-Foy. But that's me. I never worry about getting terribly lost in France. The road network is so dense that it's never more than a few kilometers before you come to another intersection with more signs directing you to the town you're looking for. Not every route will be Disney scenic, but at least you'll see what rural France really looks like. Even if it's slow, it can be enjoyable. Slow travel...

Driving around rural France is one of the things we enjoy most about our trips. You could do worse than be lost in France !! Hilarie, I do not want to hijack your thread, but I do not know how to reply to Ken's blog. So this is for Ken.
I follow both Ken's and Walt's blogs and I have been enjoying your recent blogs about your trip. We have stayed twice in the Allier for a week each time , near Bourbon l'Archambault. So we have visited a lot of the places you mention and in 2016 we stopped for a second time in Souvigny on our way from the Creuse to Burgundy. And we have had St Pourcain sur Sioule wine when we were in the Allier both times.
Hilarie, have a great stay in a lovely area. We stayed near Cenac in 2014. My trip report is here .
https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/spring-in-country-france-2014.1804/
Bon voyage.

No worries and I read your spring trip report with much interest. My sister and I will be in some of the same areas you mention and your trip descriptions of the area sound wonderful. Off-highway driving it is then!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina