• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Driving from Brighton to Heathrow

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be spending our last night in England at the Novotel at Heathrow. We'll drive up from Rottingdean (just east of Brighton) on Friday morning. It's less than 90 minutes from our rental to LHR, so we'll have the entire day to sight-see along the way - but where? We never did make it to Windsor last time, so that's a possibility. Since we're in Rottingdean for 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure we will have covered most of the towns within a 90 minute drive, unless we specifically save something for that last day.

My biggest concern would be parking in Windsor, in general, because we'll be there in mid-August, but specifically because all our luggage will be in the car. That will be a problem no matter where we go! What about Epsom - but I can't imagine there will be races in August. Or Weybridge - John Lennon used to own a house there, but other than that...... How about Walton-on-Thames?

I don't want the day to be stressful, and I'd prefer one stop rather than lots of short stops. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. If all else fails, maybe we can drop off the luggage first, then just drive to Windsor for the day. thanks!

Epsom is a pleasant enough town but there isn't enough to keep you occupied for very long... (The in laws used to live just down the road from Epsom and did their shopping there.)

Parking a car with luggage is going to be an issue where ever you stop. Would it be possible to contact the Novotel and ask if you could drop off the luggage early and then head to Windsor for the day? The castle is worth visiting.

Failing that, one suggestion is Polesden Lacey House, north east of Dorking, another rather nice town with possibly a bit more to offer than Epsom. If it is a nice day, you could always drop out in the gardens at Polesden Lacey

If you like gardens you could also consider Wisley and Painshill Park which are in the same area. Wisley is the Royal Horticultural Society Gardens and is a wonderful display garden. Painshill Park is a restored C18th landscape garden with a wonderful grotto - my pictures here. BUT you do need a good day if you are doing gardens!!

I'm assuming you may have visited Sheffield Park Gardens (plus a ride on the Bluebell Preserved Steam Railway) and Nymans from Brighton? If not. these are also possibles...

After thinking about this some more I think that dropping off our luggage and visiting Windsor is the best option. Art's never been to Windsor, and I haven't been since 1985. I love the castle, but have never toured it. I think the Queen goes to Scotland in August, doesn't she?

I'd agree. Windsor (and adjoining Eton, very much walkable) are lovely, but not huge. In addition they are that most useful of options for people needing to be at Heathrow, but concerned about leaving a long journey that may suffer traffic delays.
A really sensible choice, and say hi to Betty if you see her :)

Remember that in the UK most car parks are pay & display, so keep lots of coins in the car to pay. You may need to enter your car registration (license plate number) when paying. In our area we always have to do this (to stop us passing on our tickets if all the time has not been used). You’ll find a map of Windsor online showing car parks and some driving apps on your phone will show them. Most towns have good signs to car parks, some even showing the number of spaces free.

You can do a nice walk along the river or find the huge park that leads to the castle, the Long Walk.

Hi Pauline
Out in the rural 'what-whats', I've yet to encounter this.
It's a development that does sadden me - the person paid for their ticket (usually 'by the hour') and now can't gift what they didn't use to someone else. Car parking has certainly become big business in the UK.
Regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina