• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Driving From Yorkshire to Sussex

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Google maps is offering me 3 options for driving from our rental in Thirsk, Yorkshire to Rottingdean in Sussex.
Option #1 is driving the A1, taking 5 hours, passing by Cambridge. The A1 is the only route w/ tolls, AFAIK.​
Option #2 is taking the M1, which also takes 5 hrs, and passes by Nottingham.​
Option #3, the M40, takes 6 hrs, and takes a westerly route, towards LIverpool and past Oxford.​
Here's a link to the map (I hope!) https://goo.gl/maps/5WK4EEVzSJL2 - which unfortunately only shows one option, the M1 route.

If we have stuff left in the fridge we can take a picnic lunch, but we'll still need to stop somewhere along the way to stretch our legs, and a bit of sightseeing along the way wouldn't be bad! If anyone knows these motorways and can give us any advice on which route is 'best', and which might offer the best options for a stop - just a few hours - please let us know! Thanks!

Last edited:
If taking the A1 route, Stamford is a pleasingly attractive place to stop off, with a large antiques centre if you hit bad weather but still want a proper stop.
Alternatively if you want a meal in a historic hotel (with a rather decent wine list/shop) then Huntingdon's Old Bridge Hotel might appeal. This latter option a little closer to half-way.

The A1 used to be troublesome, but a major widening programme 10-20 years ago helped massively, and I presume the effect is still working.

I'd agree with Ian. The A1 is by far the best option and Stamford is well worth a stop and is virtually on the route. There is also Burghley House which is one of the great treasure houses of England.

The M1 is a nightmare to be avoided at all costs and the M40 route makes no sense....

I'd go with Ian's suggestion. Stamford is a good place to stop: a very pretty town used for filming a number of period dramas including Middlemarch and Pride and Prejudice. We had lunch there in the labyrinthine and very handsome George Inn.

I can't think why there'd be any tolls on that route. A roads are simply long distance national routes that are not motorways, so don't have the same services and restrictions.

The difference between motorways and A roads is historical.

The first motorways were specifically built between major centres of population and to replace an A road. They were built with hard shoulders to pull of in an emergency. Parking and stopping on the motorway was prohibited. There were also restrictions on vehicles using the motorway - no tractors, horse drawn vehicles, cycles, pedestrians. Learner drivers were not allowed to use them although that restriction is going to change. Motorways have a limited number of road junctions. They don’t have traffic lights or roundabouts (although you may well encounter roundabouts at the end of a slip road off the motorway). They may have 2-4 carriageways. Motorways have blue road signs.

A roads have green road signs. Parts of some of the busier A roads have been turned into motorways and are designated as A1(M). A roads can be either single or dual carriage way. They have a lot more road junctions too. Some have slip roads, others are flat crossings. You may also get roundabouts.

The M1 is one of the busiest roads in the country and seems to be subjected to permanent road works. It isn't pleasant driving. The A1 is quieter and if it gets really congested or blocked by an accident, it is usually possible to come off and navigate your way round the blockage.

Rather than sticking to the A1 into London to pick up the M25 anticlockwise to the west of London, you could also consider taking the A14 towards Cambridge (worth a stop too) and then the M11 to pick up the M25 clockwise round the east of London. This section of the M25 always seems to be less congested than the west side bit. It's scenically better too.

The M1 is one of the busiest roads in the country and seems to be subjected to permanent road works. It isn't pleasant driving. The A1 is quieter and if it gets really congested or blocked by an accident, it is usually possible to come off and navigate your way round the blockage.

Rather than sticking to the A1 into London to pick up the M25 anticlockwise to the west of London, you could also consider taking the A14 towards Cambridge (worth a stop too) and then the M11 to pick up the M25 clockwise round the east of London. This section of the M25 always seems to be less congested than the west side bit. It's scenically better too.
thanks for the explanation on the A/M designations, but even more thanks for some very helpful tips!!!

I almost suggested the clockwise M25 route. There is a modest toll for the bridge, but on the whole it has been a quieter section vs. the western half of the M25. So I agree.

The other consideration is timing. Ideally avoid being near a major city (or the major roads/motorways) between 8-9am and 5-6pm (with those periods expanding to double the size or more in the busiest places).

Thus a start from Thirsk at 8:30-9am should be fine, so a lunch stop around midday. Back on the road before 2pm. If stopping at Stamford, then this probably points to a later departure (maybe 9:30am) unless you want a light cafe lunch.

Other alternatives.
We've had reasonable success with country pubs 3-4 miles off the A14, so if the stop, eat and stroll is more important than seeing something, then it might be worth identifying 1 or 2 of these that might be worthwhile.

I love botanical gardens, and to split up a long drive, Cambridge University botanical gardens might be a good option. Junction 11 (Trumpington) of the M11 appears to offer a simple direct route off to the gardens, and there is a cafe there as well http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/Botanic/Home.aspx

M11 (J11) -> A1309 (Hauxton Road) -> A1134 (High St) Google says 12 mins from the junction, and you can retrace the same route on return to restart the final leg down to Rottingdean

Thanks @Ian Sutton ! I love having options, and local insight! I'm guessing we'll be on our way first thing in the morning, and lunch will be whenever and wherever. I too love botanical gardens, so Cambridge might be the perfect answer. I've mapped it out with Google, and we'll see what happens! We'll be driving on a Saturday, so I'm hoping the 'rush hour' traffic around London won't be quite as bad as it is during the week.

Last edited:
I see they take you off a junction earlier (J12) which makes sense, though if less confident driving, I reckon the J11 route both ways should be slightly simpler.

Moving onto Brighton, I note the Booth museum of natural history is still open on Dyke Road (about 200 yards up from where I used to live). It came about from an uncomfortable situation. Edward Booth had been an avid hunter, shooting just about anything and everything that moved. His museum was initially effectively his private trophy cabinet, but on his death the Brighton council agreed to take it on as a museum of natural history.

I've looked at the botanical garden website, and the parking options are limited. There is street parking across from the garden, and of course that's hit or miss. They recommend using the park and ride bus service, which is fine, but either option requires us to leave our car - filled w/all our luggage - unattended. I know there will be no way for all of our luggage to be out of sight, so this will be something we'll have to decide on once we see the parking facilities.

I see what you mean about the J11/12 exits - doesn't seem logical to have to drive thru town, does it? I'll change it to the J11 exit, and once again, thanks for the tip!

I'll add the Booth museum to my notes about Brighton - I'm okay with a natural history museum, not so much with a personal trophy display!

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina