• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Drought in Italy

italian excursion

100+ Posts
After hearing about the Rome fountains being turned off due to drought conditions in Italy, then a mention of heat, no rain from Valerie, I checked with a friend of mine who lives in northern Italy, in the mountains above Lucca. Indeed, they are experiencing it as well and she seemed quite concerned. I'm wondering what other measures Italians & ex-pats are taking to cope with the lack of water. Has anyone else been aware of heard from folks there? It wasn't mentioned when I was there in May, so I was surprised.

Thank you for any information!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Unfortunately this is a regular issue every summer all across the Mediterranean, from Portugal to Greece. In the years we have lived in Italy the months of July and August are very dry, not uncommon to go several weeks without rain. Forest and grass fires are spread across the peninsula and some can be devastating.

A common sight is the Canadairs dipping into lakes and the sea to fight a local fire. We can watch them from our balcony disappearing behind the mountains to dip into the local reservoir.

One year when we were in Ascoli Piceno the fires burned to within a km of the centro storico and one Canadair crew was killed in a crash. Arson was suspected in that fire.

Fire 9-29 from AP.JPG

Lago di Campotosto Canadair.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The owner of the vineyard where stayed in Friuli told us she's seen a marked change in the weather over the past few years, to the extent that they've had to begin irrigating their vines for the first time because of the increase in summer temperature. They've had to dig a pond to trap the scarce rainwater, and use pumps and drip irrigation to get the water to the vines.

Yes, my friends in Civitella d' Agliano said as far back as 5 years ago that their produce was beginning to come in a month earlier. And I did hear about the fires on Mt. V. California has had drought for 5 years but I wasn't sure if Italy's summer dryness extended the full year or was just seasonal.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Cheryl the situation was still OK in May. Now it's very dry, we have only seen rain during 3 days in the last 6 weeks. We have had fires but no near Assisi. This has however happened every summer for as long as I can remember. July and August are always very hot but this year June has been very hot and dry too. We know we have to endure and generally after the first week of September we have the most beautiful weather of the year.

Just got home today from two months near Bagni di Lucca. With the exception of three days of short thunderstorm activity, there were no soaking rains the entire time. The Serchio River is the lowest we can remember (in our 30 years of staying in that region). The temperatures were just starting to get high in our last week and a half -- had still been sleeping under a comforter until then. Our neighbors were still burning brush the entire time, so can't say that anyone seemed concerned about the dry conditions.

ANSA says they are talking about the possibility as the Lazio Region is cutting off Lago Bracciano as a source for Rome. Ms. Raggi is asking the central government to step in. Turning off the water wouldn't be good for tourism.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina