• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Drug Sniffing Dogs At Airports

aap519

100+ Posts
I've seen articles on the TSA that has hurt their image. Some I think are justified; and some are not. I don't complain or have any problem with the TSA, but what I saw yesterday didn't seem real smart

Yesterday when we returned from France, the TSA at O'Hare airport was walking a drug sniffing dog around the luggage trolley and letting it sniff luggage as people took their luggage off the trolley.

I think it was really dumb for the TSA to be doing this overtly and hurts their image.

They should be doing this covertly in the back area before the luggage gets put on the trolley. They could have the dogs sniff every piece of luggage. If the dog detects something, they could open the luggage in back and inspect it and/or tag it and stop the person who picks it up and bring them to an inspection room.

Just my 2 cents. Trying to help the TSA improve their image.

Would I guess that this was really CBP, i.e. U.S. Customs inspecting what international arriving passengers are bringing in, rather than the TSA, who screen passengers before boarding flights?

FWIW this has been present in a number of airports for decades, and I suspect it is a very intentionally public display, reminding all that they are checking bags and it would be very foolish for anyone to contemplate bringing drugs, explosives etc. into the country. Part of the overall "we're keeping you safe" message. Done in a calm and pleasant way, I'm perfectly happy with it.

The most amusing/horrifying scenario I saw was a relatively large dog launch himself at the crotch of a guy, either in Amsterdam Schipol airport or in the arrival airport on a flight from there. I'm pretty sure given the departure destination, the chap had kept his dope in his front jeans pocket during his stay, and whether or not it was still there, that enthusiastic dog was going straight for it. I saw genuine fear in his eyes and that fear was greater than getting caught with dope.

A few years ago, I flew from Amsterdam to Southampton with my customer on flybe. He was one that was always in hurry, and since it had been a long day of meetings in the Netherlands and now it was 10 PM in England he was in extreme hurry to get to the hotel. Southampton is a fairly small airport and was pretty quiet at 10. We all gathered around the baggage turnstile waiting for our luggage. The light flashed and the belt began turning. My customer pushed his way to the opening and was getting ready to grab what he thought was his bag, when a 75+ lbs German Shepard came lunging through the opening. Man did he back away in hurry! There were two dogs and they ran around the turnstile smelling everyone’s bags. I was pretty intimating to grab your bag while the dogs were circling. However, I will never forget his face when that dog popped out of the hole in the wall!

FWIW this has been present in a number of airports for decades, and I suspect it is a very intentionally public display, reminding all that they are checking bags and it would be very foolish for anyone to contemplate bringing drugs, explosives etc. into the country. Part of the overall "we're keeping you safe" message. Done in a calm and pleasant way, I'm perfectly happy with it.

The most amusing/horrifying scenario I saw was a relatively large dog launch himself at the crotch of a guy, either in Amsterdam Schipol airport or in the arrival airport on a flight from there. I'm pretty sure given the departure destination, the chap had kept his dope in his front jeans pocket during his stay, and whether or not it was still there, that enthusiastic dog was going straight for it. I saw genuine fear in his eyes and that fear was greater than getting caught with dope.

Don't get me wrong. I totally support security/law enforcement/customs at the airport. As you said in a calm and pleasant way, but having a dog come up while you're getting your luggage and stick his wet nose all over your luggage, isn't very pleasant and I think is pretty dumb. That's why I think they should do it covertly and cover every piece of luggage. They could advertise how many drug bust they have every month on posters so people get the message. Plus some people/kids are scared of dogs. As a teenager, I used to do home delivery and I was bit twice in the leg by a dog. One time the dog was unleashed and other time when the women open the door. Little did I know I could have sued them back then.

Also if the guy who had the dog go after his groin, That should be picked up now with screening. If he didn't have any drugs, that could end up costing money in a law suit. A dog could easily have a false positive when sniffing for dope,

At Australian airports the dogs also look for foods - fruit, vegetables and packets of other foods.
Fruit and vegetables are banned but other things like spices are allowed but need to be declared.
Large fine if not declared.

From a logistics standpoint, I understand keeping the dogs outside the contained area where workers are hurriedly unloading flights onto the baggage carousel. They'd be underfoot and slow down the process.

Whereas, though not pleasant for those not wishing to be around dogs, they can cut a safe path around the carousel when luggage is coming off. Also, for finding the owner of the luggage, that would be much easier on the carousel side, not the internal working area where they'd have to isolate the bag, then page the owner to come to a desk. The owner, if definitely bringing back something illegal, could bolt.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina