• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dublin Advice Please!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We've been to Dublin twice now, and will return in April for a small group tour with Walter's Way Tours. We're arriving 2 days early because I hate dealing with jetlag, and never sleep on the plane. We'll arrive at 10 am on Friday, so we'll have that afternoon, then all day Saturday.

As you might expect, we've done the usual tourist attractions, so we're looking for something new this time. As I mentioned in a previous thread, we want to see the jail, and maybe the Teeling Distillery. I was about to make reservations for the distillery, but then I thought "why?" Touring another distiller is like touring another winery - once you're seen a huge room with huge vats filled with mash/grapes/whatever, you've seen them all, IMO. Maybe we'll go by the distillery to pick up a bottle or 2 but I don't really see the point of a tour there.

The idea of just wandering seems like a huge wasted opportunity. I think we'll make reservations for the jail on Saturday morning, so we'll have both Friday and Saturday afternoons free, and hopefully by Saturday I'll be functioning a little better. So - suggestions on what to see/do - any Dublin expert here?

Maybe a sporting event. Doesn't look much on at the Aviva stadium (yet), except a Rugby game on 1st April https://www.avivastadium.ie/whats-on/leinster-v-ulster-epcr-champions-cup-round-of-16

Perhaps more appealing might be hurling, which looks like it's hitting the playoffs in April https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-master-fixtures-for-2023-published/
We just watched watched Peter Greenberg's "Hidden Ireland", and he attempts to learn the game. I don't know anthing about the game other than it seems pretty dangerous!

We just watched watched Peter Greenberg's "Hidden Ireland", and he attempts to learn the game. I don't know anthing about the game other than it seems pretty dangerous!
Yes, I think you understand it well :D

OK, throwing everything out the window and starting over! (I've been unable to get the Gaol site to load for the past 2 days, so I decided it was a sign and gave up) After trying to figure out how best to maximize our time, yet still accomodate our (my) jetlag, here's what I've settled on.

We're staying the the Premier Inn near Temple Bar, and should arrive there before noon. If we're hungry we'll eat first, then head to Dublin Castle, then St Patrick's Cathedral. If we're not hungry we'll just reverse the order and eat afterwards. After that just walking "our" neighborhood, maybe stopping in a pub for a drink and some munchies before going to bed fairly early.

On Saturday I've booked a food tour that begins at The Spire on O'Connell St, and ends around 2 pm. I like the idea of being able to interact with people rather than just being on our own. I'm leaving the afternoon open. Although pricey, I might consider a HOHO bus, just to see parts of Dublin we've never seen, or perhaps our food guide will have some suggestions.

As usual, It's taken me a long time to settle on a plan that seems doable and still leaves room for improvisation. My way of trip planning is to throw out a dozen ideas, then I just keep reconfiguring until I get something to jell. Thanks to all who gave advice!

As it's close, I'd also recommend putting 10-20 mins aside to browse the shops in the George St arcade. Definitely a 'world crafts' focus, but of all of the shops, unique crafts and design had most appeal for us https://georgesstreetarcade.ie/stores/ especially the glasswork. It's a pleasant arcade.

The hotel location is fine (I'd definitely be wary about staying somewhere within the Temple bar area, as that can get raucous / drunken, especially on a weekend. You're a nice distance away from that noise.

I recall the coffee at the 'bald barista' being decent, and it's a 2-3 minute walk from the hotel. Bit of a student / backpacker vibe from memory, but not excessively so.

Fallon & Byrne might also be a useful option, be it for a light bite to eat and glass of wine or beer in their downstairs enoteca/wine bar & shop, upstairs in the restaurant (which I never went to), or on ground floor for a Harrods food hall / Fortnum and Mason style supermarket, with some excellent and enjoyably eclectic stock. A picnic chosen from their wares would be tasty indeed, including some fine Irish cheeses.

Thanks so much for these suggestions, @Ian Sutton ! I tried to make sure the hotel was central to what we wanted to see and do. In 2018 we rented an apartment for 4 or 5 days off O'Connell St, behind the Gresham hotel. I wanted to be more centrally located this year because we're only there for 2 days. I also tried to make sure the hotel was far enough away from the crush and noise of Temple Bar. Fingers crossed!

Have you ever done the Mary Gibbons tour to Newgrange and Knowth? She is excellent. I had been on my own before but she included Hill of Tara and that was amazing. There were many starting the Rick Steves tour the next day on the tour. A trip to Howth is always nice.

Have you ever done the Mary Gibbons tour to Newgrange and Knowth? She is excellent. I had been on my own before but she included Hill of Tara and that was amazing. There were many starting the Rick Steves tour the next day on the tour. A trip to Howth is always nice.
Yes, we have, and I too highly recommend this tour. Fascinating!

We've booked the food tour, but will finish around 2 on Saturday afternoon. Nothing special in mind, but suggestions are always welcome! Thanks!
If any of the above are of interest, they are all within a 45min walk of each other. So they could be visited in the afternoon. I know they're not the most spectacular tourist attractions, but they're a bit different.

We leave on Thursday. We're packed, and I'm MORE than ready to go! We'll arrive in Dublin around 10 in the morning, and have already decided we'll splurge on a cab to our hotel. We've schlepped our suitcases on busses and trams in the past, but since this vacation is supposed to be all about relaxing and letting someone else take care of the details, a cab seemed like a good start.

We picked out hotel based on it's location, near enough to things we want to see, yet far enough away from the crush of Temple Bar. I'm hoping for a clear day on Saturday when we take our food tour, but I've packed our rain ponchos and umbrellas just in case. Thanks again to everyone who gave advice and/or offered encouragement.

We leave on Thursday. We're packed, and I'm MORE than ready to go! We'll arrive in Dublin around 10 in the morning, and have already decided we'll splurge on a cab to our hotel. We've schlepped our suitcases on busses and trams in the past, but since this vacation is supposed to be all about relaxing and letting someone else take care of the details, a cab seemed like a good start.

We picked out hotel based on it's location, near enough to things we want to see, yet far enough away from the crush of Temple Bar. I'm hoping for a clear day on Saturday when we take our food tour, but I've packed our rain ponchos and umbrellas just in case. Thanks again to everyone who gave advice and/or offered encouragement.

Taxis not expensive, and assuming it's still as it was, the rank is on your immediate right as you exit the airport building, with an official asking where you're going as you join the queue (which always used to move fast).

I reckon, given a 10am landing, it's likely to be ~ 11:30-12noon by the time your taxi arrives at the hotel.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina