• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dublin: areas to stay

Bryan Gros

10+ Posts
Looking to spend 3nights in Dublin next spring. Older parents, my wife and I, and our teenaged son

Interested in food, pubs, history, shopping, music.

Where is a good area of the city to stay? Something close to shops and activities but not necessarily the party areas!

Also, any challenges with getting tours at the St James Gate Brewery? We are homebrewers and want to see the brewery

Thanks

If you like your beer, then Against the Grain at the city end of Camden St is well worth a visit. A very wide international range alongside good local beers.

I almost always stayed in this part of town (generally the Camden Court hotel), as whilst it was convenient for work, it was also served by plenty of good restaurants and had a nice vibe, though Camden St does get moderately lively on a Friday night. Bill Clinton seemed to like the pub at the other end of Camden St (Cassidys) and someone else famous (can't recall who) was recently featured drinking in Devitts. Sadly my favourite restaurant (Il Primo) closed down, but if you like French/Spanish bistro food, I always enjoyed the cosy Camden Kitchen. Opposite, Green19 is a good honest and wholesome Irish bistro, with the only criticism being the tables being a little close in places. Neon is a fun 'Thai street food' place, always busy, with the added fun of a free help yourself 'Mr whippy' ice cream cone, which invariably ends up with wonky but high-rise attempts. One Bistro (30 Richmond St ) in it's prior incarnation (Seagrass) was wonderful & stunning value, but I've not been since it's changed.

Sunday afternoons, I'd recommend the oldest pub in Ireland (The Brazen Head) for the live acoustic music, which is tourist-friendly (something that easily grates with me), but with genuinely talented local musicians (whereas many in the very touristy Temple Bar area are from other countries and so are akin to cover artists vs. the real thing).

Eating can be remarkably good value in early evening (~5:30-7pm) with plenty of competing offers, so make use of them for great value. Quality also impressed, and this at mid scale rather than high-end dining. I've not been to the brewery, but I'm told it;s decent albeit clearly a tourist thing.

One place to mention in the centre, is the supermarket/wine bar/restaurant Fallon & Byrne, an Irish equivalent to the likes of Fortnum & Mason / Harrods food hall. A great selection, which I often used to raid on the way back to the airport. The downstairs wine bar is a great quiet escape if the city is bustling.

Regards
Ian

We rented a small, very basic apartment off O'Connell St, which was convenient for the bus we took back and forth to the airport, and also convenient for walking over the bridge to where most of the action and sites are. We booked them thru Booking.com, but you can book directly with them: Halfpenny Bridge Holiday Homes - Cathedral Vista. Good luck!

Fair to add that O'Connell St is closer to the main sights than where I used to stay

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina