• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Easy day trip from Oxford?

JeriF.

10+ Posts
My daughter is planning a trip this summer to London, Bath, and Oxford. She's been to London numerous times and knows Oxford well, having visited it several times and spent a summer month there as a student. She's visited all the usual suspects, including Stratford, Chawton, the Cotswolds a couple of times (stayed in Chipping Campden and Minster Lovell), Blenheim--all the obvious stuff.

She's looking now for an easy half- or full-day trip that she can do by bus or train and is thinking of Abingdon, Thame, or Witney. Anyone have any thought or other suggestions?

Thanks--

Birmingham :) Would make a change from the dreaming spires! I'm not a city person, but I like Birmingham. Good shopping if you're into that, interesting buildings, museums, concert halls, and art galleries, and some of the best Indian food in Britain. It's about an hour on the train.

I personally feel Birmingham is another London, crowded and modern. I would prefer somewhere quieter.

I'd agree that Abingdon and Witney are boring. I'm not so sure about Thame which does seem to have a bit more character as well as a nice church.

Well, it seems she's settled on Warwick. A bit further away, but looks like she could spend a lovely day there.

Thanks for the ideas.

She will enjoy Warwick - there's lots to do there apart from the castle. Tell her not to miss the Beauchamp Chapel in St Mary's Church with its wonderful tombs, including that of Robert Dudley, favourite of Queen Elizabeth I.
Mill Garden is delightful spot to drop out on a sunny day. There are good views of the outside of the castle and it is also a good place to see the trebuchet being fired if she doen't want to pay to go into the castle.
If she likes gardens, Hill Close Gardens are also well worth visiting and are completely different..

Thanks, Eleanor. I'll pass it on. I'm sure she'll want to see Dudley's tomb--she is an addict of the Tudors and has read more books on them than anyone else I know.

Screen shot 2018-04-18 at 20.05.19.png

Robert Dudley's tomb (along with his second wife Lettice). Does she know about Kennilworth Castle? Now in ruins, this was the home of Robert Dudley who spent a fortune vamping the castle in anticipation of a visit by Elizabeth (and in the hope she would marry him).

Wow! Humble!

I don't know what she knows about Kenilworth, but it doesn't look like she'll make it this trip--no car and limited time. She's just touching down in Oxford for a few days after London and Bath (she's also JA fanatic) because she has such happy memories of her summer there and has always loved the city.

I'll certainly let her know about it. She made a trip to Hatfield during one visit to London, which she loved, plus of course Hampton Court a few times. If you can think of other sites associated with that era (we once tried to get to Burghley House, but it was too far out of our way), pls. let me know.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina