• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Fall trip to Umbria and Lake Como area

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
Currently on holiday not enjoying the cold and wet in north eastern France (everything else is great)but planning a fall trip to Italy—(Spoleto and Bellagio or Varenna) & have done some preliminary planning. Was thinking of two weeks mid to late September.
Question #1 — Has anyone been to these areas at this time of year? As unreliable as weather predictions are, I would appreciate feedback on this timing. I thought this time of year in France would be good weather but was obviously mistaken.
Secondly, as far as accommodation, we like in town and quiet and CLEAN. We love taking walks in town after dinner so Agriturismos are not the way we’d like to go. Any recommendations in Spoleto (or even a different Umbrian town for Airbnb’s, apartments or inns where we could at least have a fridge in our room would be great. Under 300 Euro is ideal. We were thinking about Bellagio in Como area despite it being very touristed because we loved staying in Positano even though it was really busy because we got to experience it before and after the day trippers. Anyhow we’re thinking about a week in each of Umbria and Como areas. We are planning on driving from Rome (we’ve done this before). I don’t like to fly and Rome’s the only place we can fly non-stop. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We've been in Umbria in September the last couple of years, and the weather was pleasant. I recall rain passing through, not extended downpours, but one never knows what will happen at a given time.

I've been at Lake Como in September, and found it a bit chilly and damp.
There's a photo somewhere of me and my friend wearing every piece of clothing we had with us to keep warm!
Having said that, the next day the sun was out, and we were back out without jackets.
Pack to wear layers!

We've been in Umbria in September the last couple of years, and the weather was pleasant. I recall rain passing through, not extended downpours, but one never knows what will happen at a given time.
Thanks. Any particular accommodation you would recommend?

We have our own house in another part of Umbria, so I can't recommend anything.

Have been to both areas in Sept & Oct. A little more rain in Oct and shorter days. Will be back this Sept.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina