• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

"Falling" For Portugal - Mai Tai Tom's "Trip" Report

maitaitom

10+ Posts
It was a fun and hectic three weeks in Portugal in the early fall. We started in Lisbon, then stayed in Sintra, Tomar, Coimbra, the Douro Valley and finally Porto. There were lots of stops along the way, too. We had to find moments to just kick back and relax where we could. And, of course, it wouldn’t be a Mai Tai Tom trip without at least one visit to the Emergency Room. Lisbon, here we come.
1LISBON-TRAVELS-WITH-MAI-TAI-TOM-1.jpg

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Wow! Great Pictures and love the narrative.
Thanks so much for sharing your trip!

maitaitom

10+ Posts
Thanks Colo ... As many know, always try to pack a lot into a day. After a slight glitch in our “foolproof” plan to get there, we toured the historic Castelo de São Jorge, the most visited attraction in Lisbon. Next on the agenda, we enjoyed the tombs, tiles and tales at Mosteiro de São Vicente de Fora. We then headed over to see Portugal’s National Pantheon, Igreja de Santa Engrácia-Panteão Nacional, a place that took a mere 284 years to construct and finally finish. Our final stop would be the fascinating Museu Nacional do Azulejo, and its incredibly ornate Igreja do Antigo Convento de Madre de Deus. Those attractions, broken statues and more on Day Two in Lisbon.
1Lisbon - Travels With Mai Tai Tom - 1 (1).jpg

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
If you have not read - The First Global Village: How Portugal Changed the World - Martin Page
I highly recommended. It will clear up many myths that surround this country.

maitaitom

10+ Posts
Well, it didn’t take me long to need medical assistance in Lisbon. Exiting a metro station I slightly miscounted the number of steps, and my head received a cobblestone sidewalk “hello.” After a quick ambulance trip, I was checked out at a hospital and after a CT Scan the hospital confirmed what most people already know … my brain showed nothing. We hightailed it over to Lisbon’s most famous art museum, the fabulous Museu Calouste Gulbenkian, where Tracy once again was able to view a painting by her all-time favorite artist. All this, and a fantastic Italian dinner complete with a very decisive waiter made for an unusual, but memorable, day in Lisbon.
LISBON HOSPITAL - TRAVELS WITH MAI TAI TOM - 1.jpg

maitaitom

10+ Posts
Here comes Day Four in Lisbon. We saved a lot of steps (and a possible coronary) with a shortcut heading up to the ruins of Convento da Ordem do Carmo and Museu Arqueológico do Carmo. We visited a church (Igreja-Museu São Roque) that took opulence to the next level, survived a Tuk-Tuk ride to a basilica that gave us a few problems in time management, lunch in a pretty garden and on to a museum (Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga) displaying a piece of art by my favorite crazy painter. We’d have what was, up to now, the best meal we had in Lisbon, and turned out to be one of the best we had on the trip (and we had a lot of good ones.
LISBON PORTUGAL - TRAVELS WITH MAI TAI TOM - 1 (1).jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano