• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Fast train Rome centre to Venice

chiaro di Luna

100+ Posts
Looking for up to date information on taking the train from Rome to Venice (not Mestre), the last week of May 2014.
What site do I use online to purchase tickets and what is the earliest date I can do that?
Any advice is appreciated. My son will be with me to help with the suitcase.

Thanks,
chiaro

You can get fast trains with both Trenitalia (the "Freccia" trains) using www.trenitalia.com and the new one called Italo at www.italotreno.it (I love the Italo trains, they have a quiet car!). For the distance from Rome to Venice I suggest buying a First Class ticket. When the distances get longer the difference between 1st and 2nd class fares gets narrower.

Since you will be in Rome the easiest way, at no extra charge from buying on-line or at the station, is to go one of the many travel agencies in Rome that show a Trenitalia logo and have them book the train and reserve the seat for you
I've used Pantheon Travel (near S.M.sopra Minerva) and one on via Pettinari near Ponte Sisto.

Since you will be in Rome the easiest way, at no extra charge from buying on-line or at the station, is to go one of the many travel agencies in Rome that show a Trenitalia logo and have them book the train and reserve the seat for you
I've used Pantheon Travel (near S.M.sopra Minerva) and one on via Pettinari near Ponte Sisto.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to purchase online in advance so all the loose ends are taken care of before I get to Rome.
I appreciate your help.

You can get fast trains with both Trenitalia (the "Freccia" trains) using www.trenitalia.com and the new one called Italo at www.italotreno.it (I love the Italo trains, they have a quiet car!). For the distance from Rome to Venice I suggest buying a First Class ticket. When the distances get longer the difference between 1st and 2nd class fares gets narrower.

I tried to book on Trenitalia site but it wanted me to log in...born in USA not listed, so I put in Canada, then it wanted Italian address. Is there an easy way to do this? I didn't get anywhere without filling in the log in form.

I'm not sure which part of the site you got into that had a log in. I just tried to book a ticket at www.trenitalia.com by filling in the red ticket box with "from" and "to" boxes and time and date, etc. Click on "search". Pick a train and a ticket price under "Prices" and then "continue" then see the selected ticket under which is a "contact" area, click on "non sono registrato" and they ask for name, surname, email, confirm email and contact number. Contact number is not required. Click the box that accepts Italian privacy laws. Then on to payment with credit card or PayPal. I don't see any boxes for address.

If you are going to Milan, Venice or Rome from Florence, you may find the www.italotreno.it site easier to work with. The Italo trains are very nice and the prices may even be better.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina