• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Favorite Restaurants in Southern Tuscany

dperrigan

Hi All. I'll be staying near Montepulciano for two weeks this August. It's been four years since I've been in that area. What are everyone's favorite restaurants in and around Montepulciano? One of my favorites is Il Leccio in Sant'Angelo in Colle. Another is (La Porta)? in Monticchiello.

Thanks,
Dan

A while since I've been, but from over a decade ago (both Montepulciano)
Osteria del Conte 19, Via di S. Donato is a very understated and unassuming place, yet we rather enjoyed it's unfussy / untouristy feel.
Ristorante La Grotta, Via di S. Biagio, 15 directly facing San Biagio, and hence ought to have been a bit of a tourist rip-off, was surprisingly good: elegant, professional and indeed tasty. Fancier than the above but not silly money for a rather good experience. The walk back up the hill will burn any over-consumption rather nicely!

One of my favorites is La Botte Piena, located in the lovely village of Montefollonico. It is brother/sister run small restaurant specializing in local ingredients and a huge selections of wines. I love the interior and atmosphere of this casual but excellent restaurant.

Tiny little place in Pienza....Sette di Vino. You may be lucky to walk in and ask for a table, but it would be better to make a reservation. Owner is very hands on, and his Bean Soup is a must.

Osteria del Merlo in Cetona. We spent a couple weeks in Cetona a few years ago, and ate at del Merlo multiple times, always excellent service and food.

Daria, who ran La Porta, now has another place
https://www.facebook.com/ristorantedaria/ in Monticchiello!

One of my favorites is La Botte Piena, located in the lovely village of Montefollonico. It is brother/sister run small restaurant specializing in local ingredients and a huge selections of wines. I love the interior and atmosphere of this casual but excellent restaurant.
Fantastic place!!!

Daria, who ran La Porta, now has another place
https://www.facebook.com/ristorantedaria/ in Monticchiello!

One of my absolute favorites in Tuscany!

Besides the ones above that I commented on, here are some other that I like:

Montalcino:

Boccon Divino is one of my all-time favorites in Tuscany. The family that runs it, is just so super kind and amazing. The food is to die for! The wine list is very extensive with some nice older vintages. And if that wasn't enough, the view is heavenly. They often serve a free "welcome" dish of pappa al pomodoro. Despite how simple of a dish this is, it truly shows you what you are in store for, for the food to come. Try the liver pate, the cartamusica dish, if available the gnocchi with truffles (melts in your mouth!), l'antico peposo made with Brunello!, plus many other amazing dishes!!!

Osticcio is my back up place in Montalcino to take clients to on the days when Boccon Divino is closed. Much simpler place and menu. Food is still outstanding though. It is technically an enoteca, so wine is their primary focus. This means that their wine list is beyond extensive. Make sure to reserve a table by the windows!

La Taverna di Baietto this is a simple place with decent food. The real reason to eat here is that it has the same owners as the wine bar/shop across the street - Enoteca di Piazza. So while this tavern has a good wine list, you may also get flights of wine from any of the 100 bottles they have on their enomatic system across the street in the shop. Have you been wanting to try that 130 euro bottle of wine but don't want to drop that kind of money? Try a flight instead for 9!

Bagno Vignoni:

Osteria del Leone is a very small, intimate restaurant with great food/wine in one of the smallest and most intimate towns in all of Tuscany!

I could go on and on, but unfortunately, I need to get going. :(

I'm in Montalcino now and the restaurant at La Pieve that I had suggested has been permanently closed :(. There is a newer restaurant that I would recommend here and that is Il Giardino. Indoor and outdoor seating. Extensive wine list and very reasonable portions (which means I can enjoy more courses).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina