• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Fenestrelle Fortress (50’ish miles east’ish from Turin)

Richard

HeLP WANTEd, suggestions please.

Here’s the story — short version is that i think we’re looking for an English speaking local guide or tour that would be able to add color in May to an all day experience at the Fenestrelle Fortress located just under 50 miles east’ish from Turin near the France/Italy border.

The longer version.

My wife and I (front-side of 60s) are late arriving at the slow travel way of visiting but we do get it and are slowly trying to adapt. Outdoor stuff gives us joy... so does pickleball but that’s another tangent.
Museums, churches and art exhibits are fabulous but thresholds of sensory fulfillment turning to overload are reached fairly quickly. It’s all good.

Late arriving. She (love her dearly) has been to Italy thrice and I twice - together last year and the year before.

We have a trip slated for late April & May and have places secured to day-base from in Genoa (4days), Rapallo (7days), Turin (4 days) and Paris (4days). Still need to secure a couple of nights at the beginning with location accessible to Gatwick. Am thinking London Bridge area but that’s another detail.

When researching Liguria/Piemonte we chanced on a random article from 2009 in the Smithsonian detailing the Fenestrelle Fortress.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/endangered-site-fenestrelle-fortress-italy-51548396/

The site including all the steps sounded intriguing and we flagged it as something we’d like to visit. Neither of us are fluent with Italian so the thought is that a local english speaking guide or tour would probably be preferred way to do a fort visit. I know we’re likely adding more restrictions but we’re also hoping our trip can all be done with public transportation....

Here’s the question - does anyone have any contacts or suggestions at how best to try and find a local guide for what we’re trying to do?

I’ve searched Slow Europe archives and the only mention of Fenestrelle that appears is from an aussie couple (terrific trip reports) who noted the site was closed but looked interesting on a drive-by a few years ago.

We will be staying for 4 nights in Turin at a b&b in the central Quadrilatero Romano area. I have reached out to the contact where I received the b&b referral and that cast hasn’t yet been exhausted.

I also made contact with a very responsive fellow from https://www.letsvisitnetwhttps://www.letsvisitnetwork.it/ork.it/ and to date the outcome hasn’t totally dead-ended but if anything gets identified i’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Finally, I did track down the individual mentioned in the Smithsonian article
linked above but I think the Fenestrelle belvedere b&b is permanently closed and he now seems to be a guide for some of Intrepid’s Iceland itineraries. Casts via facebook, twitter and instagram for local suggestions are so far being met with silence. Not an issue. Almost sounds like a stalker, yuck!

Any other suggestions or rabbit holes that may be worth exploring?

Truly appreciate all the incredible useful information being shared on these forums. Only recently ‘discovered’ the SlowEurope site. Thank you to all who share!

i lied, east should have been WEST
IMG_9644.PNG

Hello Richard and welcome here.

Did you check the guided tours on the fort's website? They don't mention different languages, but I'm supposing that they most probably offer tours in English and French :
http://www.fortedifenestrelle.it/pages/le-visite/

thanks Joe, and i did pm gratitude to you. Appreciate your encouragement to cut-n-paste some of what i sent to you. Your suggestion of not overlooking the Turin Tourism folks is also a good consideration.

With help of google translate i do intend to make a few more casts. Agree with you that volunteer association is probably main group to be targeting— the transportation piece to/from Turin can hopefully be melded into any plan.

Thanks again & here’s some of oir offline cut-n-paste.

As near as i can tell the only way to “do” an on site tour is with one of the volunteer association guides that oversees the fort.

There are 1, 3 and 6 hour options with the 6 hr one making it possible to ‘hike’ the full wall/steps. I’m led to believe that there are several of the group of volunteers that can speak english. The only apparent issue is that it is a challenge to ensure a tour will be with english speaking guide until possibly a day or two before site visit.

The other issue seems to be that because of winter season the site is closed until later in February.

There’s still some time until my wife and i will be in the vicinity. i will make more of an effort to directly contact the volunteer association or even the nearby commune (pop. approx. 700 ?) tourism officials if nothing else surfaces.

I know it’s crazy goofy trying to hunt out info and possibly the site is not really major highlight. It just seemed quite impressive and if an english speaking interpretation can be sourced i think we will try to visit.

Whew, too many words or what.... just wantrd to ssy thanks for noticing & suggesting. Appreciated!
Richard

My husband and I visited Fenestrelle 10 years ago, in May 2009. We were taking a drive up that highway, saw the fortress and decided to stop. However, it was closed at the time and we were only able to take photos from the gate area. But, even from the gate area, it is impressive!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina