• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Festivals

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Panama and I wast thinking about something. Here in Panama, the national holidays are in November that is when people celebrate the independence and separation from Spain and Colombia. I've seen that many tourist like to come and see the parades, and be part of the celebrations and parties that Panamanians normally do as traditions in the city and also in the countrysides.

Another dates where a lot of tourist come to Panama is for carnival which are around February, and Panamanians celebrate it very big and with a lot of traditions.

So my question is: what's a festival or celebration in you country that is popular and attractive to tourist. I would like to do some trips with the objective of visiting those kind of events.

On our three previous visits to north-western Italy, we always attended the Salone del Gusto. This is a biennial fair that is the main event of the Slow Food organization, which was founded and is based in Torino. The event has many aspects, but without a doubt the most enjoyable is the huge market, in which hundreds of small-scale producers from all over the world display their products, which of course can be purchased.

The fair is actually taking place this year in less than a month, and I would urge anyone who loves quality food products made in artisanal methods to attend this fair at least once. Naturally there are many producers from Italy, as well as the rest of Europe, but there is also quite a good representation from more distant places. A good opportunity to chat with the producers as well, when language is not too much of a problem. Many of these producers are family businesses, small-scale farmers, and other types that you will probably have no other opportunity to encounter, because of the dominance of big companies on the market.

The market covers any and all gastronomic products, from fresh fruit and vegetables, bread/pastry, wine/alcohol, processed foods, dairy, meat (unfortunately), spices - whatever you can think of. Worth at least a full day, not to mention being in Torino, a wonderful city. Other events attached to this are workshops and lectures.
https://salonedelgusto.com/en/

I love the smaller festivals in Italy, from truffles to music to dressing up in medieval clothes and throwing flags. There remains a strong local element aside from the larger festivals (which have their place as well, but can be a little too 'commercial' at times.

Some of the more esoteric festivals can be popular e.g. the orange throwing festival in Ivrea or the palio horse racing in Asti (or the sarctasticdonkey race in neighbouring Alba). Then there is the 'calcio' they have in Florence (Firenze)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-egPakHKM
that can be utterly brutal.

India is a country of many colours & traditions. There are festivals to mark the seasons, to mark the martial arts, to sell & purchase cattle, the religious festivals, tribal festivals, the festivals of colour itself & festivals to celebrate conjugal love! These are splendid opportunities to get to know the country better. Some of these are:
Holla Mohall Amritsar.
Pushkar & Nagaur Cattle Fairs.
Teej festival Jaipur.
Gangaur Festival Jaipur.
Desert Festival, Jaisalmer.
The Pongal festival of Tamilnadu.
Of the religious the best known are the Kumbh Festival every 12 years at Allahabad on the confluence of the rivers Ganga & Yamuna & the midway Ardh-Kumbh Festival.
Mysore Dussehra Festival in Karnataka is held with great fanfare, with a colourful procession of gaily caparisoned elephants taking the idol of the goddess through the streets.
The festival of colours is best enjoyed if you stay in a place which is secure and exclusive. There are several hotels in Jaipur viz. Shahpura House where it is conducted in a safe atmosphere, sweets are served & a set of clothes offered to resident guests.
However, if you wish to see something more rural, than it could be Fort Chanoudgarh, where the erstwhile feudatory chieftain conducts the festival with his regents in a traditional way. The 'Bhopas' who are religious singers come calling and sing for the guests. A Bhopa is a volunteer singer and will not sing for money!
Happy travels!

Last edited:
oh yess! I have India in my bucket list. I've heard and seen pictures of the festival of lights and I think there is another festival about paints. India is definitely on my plans. Thanks for that information! :) I really appreciate it.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina