• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

First week of August, where?

What about driving or taking the train to Milan from Alba Friay morning, spending the day and evening in town and catching an early Saturday morning flight out?

Always an option, though from memory that train journey involves at least one transfer. Finding a hotel near the car drop off location in Milano might be a good option worth considering as well

It should come down to your preference, country relaxation or the vibrancy and choice of a city. Whichever one instantly feels more appealing to you is the one to plan for. I'd choose country, though with a little contrarian leaning of doing some final shopping before the return home!

I could really use some help here. 1. We plan to leave Alba on a Friday morning and have a morning flight out on Saturday. I like the idea of not entering Milan and staying in the country for our last night. Would we drop our car off at the airport that morning? 2. We are traveling with another couple who fly home on SUNDAY. How best to coordinate this as they have an extra day and probably would be happy to stay in Milan or maybe spend their last day seeing a Lake?

I could really use some help here. 1. We plan to leave Alba on a Friday morning and have a morning flight out on Saturday. I like the idea of not entering Milan and staying in the country for our last night. Would we drop our car off at the airport that morning?

I hope I've understood your question correctly.
When and where you return your car in this case might depend on :
1) how early your flight is in the morning
2) how confident you are driving and navigating

Folks that have a very early morning flight, and do not want the pressure or inconvenience of dealing with a lot of matters at such hours, might prefer to return a rental the evening before, and take a taxi or public transportation to the airport in the morning (or stay at a hotel on the airport grounds).
Navigating to Maplensa airport can be easy and can be disastrous, depending on how much experience you have. You might find yourself going around in circles, or following the signs without a problem. If this is your first time, it might be worth your time to "drive" the route virtually, before the actual drive, on Google Street View, and take note of the various signs, turns and directions.
You will also have to allot time to find and get to a gas station, in order to return the car with a full tank, if that's what you decided on in the rental agreement.

If you are OK with all of the above, there shouldn't be any problem returning the car to the airport on the morning of the flight. Check to make sure the rental office is indeed open at that hour.

It makes sense to me to leave car in Alba on Friday AM, assuming this is fiscally feasible, train from Alba to Milan, with a 20 minute stop in Torino. Stay close to the train station in Milan. Then train or taxi to the airport the following day. Please let me know if this is more difficult than I think?

I have always stayed at a hotel close to Malpensa Airport when flying out the following morning. I just never wanted to deal with the extra stress in case there was some sort of taxi or train strike that morning. For me, flying is stressful enough! You could drive to the hotel and I assume drop off your car at the airport that morning OR drop off your car at the airport the evening before and have the hotel shuttle pick you up from the airport. I have stayed at two different hotels I would recommend if not taking the shuttle and just one if you will be dependent on the shuttle the evening before. It has been some time now since I have stayed at these hotels, so things might have changed.

In 2008 & 2009, I stayed at the First Hotel. It was a nice hotel (except for the shuttle problems from the airport to the hotel the afternoon before). Both years, I had to wait at the airport for a pick up for an unacceptable amount of time with the hotel being so close. The shuttle the morning of my flight was quick and dependable both times. Food was ok for dinner (although expensive), room was clean & comfortable. Breakfast was so so the first year and not so good the following year.

In 2011, I stayed at Hotel Villa Delle Rose. I was very happy with this hotel and it is where I would stay again. Prompt shuttle rides, friendly staff, nice single room, quiet at night, free wifi, and not bad food for an airport hotel.

If you still have your car with you, you would have more dinner options. For me, not having to stress in the morning was worth staying at an airport hotel.

At this point we will drive to Milan from Alba with our friends who will check into their center of town hotel for two nights, park our rental. At the end of our time in Milan my husband and I will drive to the airport (early AM flight) return our car and check into a close by hotel. I would love a suggestion for a hotel.

"At the end of THE EVENING in Milan my husband and I will drive to the airport (early AM flight) return our car and check into a close by hotel. I would love a suggestion for a hotel.

I would like to tour and taste a few wineries how best to book and which ones? We are staying in Alba. We will have a car and I don't want to book with a guide to take us if we can book on our own? Also, we are still working out our last night in Italy. My husband and I are staying close to the airport as suggested : ) and our friends will have one more night than us in Milan city. Our first thought was to drive from Alba to Milan city and spend the day and after dinner my husband and would drive back to the airport, drop off our rental and stay our last night. Is it nuts to do this? Alba-Milan city for day and dinner- Malpensa to drop off rental and stay last night. Should my husband and I not bother to venture into Milan for 7 hours?

Hi Phyllis
Langheroero.it have an extensive winery listing, and did have a booking service if you didn't want to email wineries yourself. We used it once and it was fine, but I'm happy emailing them myself. The listing is mostly accurate on days, times and what languages are spoken.

Which ones is a preference thing, but I'd lean towards Barbaresco wineries and can recommend Albino Rocca for a fine range including a good range of whites (not always the case in the region). Not too expensive either and they have a lovely tasting room.

What you describe isn't crazy. My personal preference would be for a small town/village, but you like the cities, so go for it. Worth planning route in advance e.g. via google maps. Also worth considering the small extra cost for an additional day on the car hire versus the ease of dropping a car at airport & hence not having to lug heavy bags around. That's if your friends will be on the car hire that is! Otherwise plan how far it is to walk from drop-off to hotel or whether it needs a taxi.

Regards
Ian

Yes, I would be somewhat uneasy about driving into a big city in Italy; it would help if you're assured of finding a place to park. That could be at an outlying metro station, but it may help that you're going when many people will be on vacation out of town.

I would also recommend you guys to visit the small towns/villages in South Tyrol. The people are amazing, the atmosphere is amazing and the food is delicious :) If you decide to stay in St. Leonhard maybe this is a good idea -> www.stroblhof.com Hope you will have a nice trip.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina