• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Florence car rental

chiaro di Luna

100+ Posts
I would like suggestions for a car rental in Florence. Where is a good location to pick up a car making it easy to head out to Greve?
I haven't decided on a hotel yet, but will be in historical centre of Florence. I could take a taxi to car rental location. Please make suggestions from your own experience.
Thanks

I remember picking up a rental car in Florence many years ago, at the train station, and being shocked at everyone beeping at us as we navigated the first roundabout! But we are more seasoned drivers now.

You will be heading south on the S222 towards Greve (as we were). I think the train station would be a good area to get your rental. You would be driving in Florence traffic for a bit, but then would be on the east side of the city and heading south. Plus, it might be easier booking a car at the train station instead of one of their smaller offices.

The other options are picking up at the airport, but then you are driving further and on highways. Or finding a local office on the south side of town. I will "poke" @Ann R for advice because she has picked up rental cars in Florence many times.

I love the drive on the S222 from the southern edge of Florence - such beautiful countryside.

I was thinking about the train station too. New driver this time, but in the past we only drove by Residence Il Carmine (across the river). What is airport called?

The airport is called Airport of Florence (Aeroporto di Firenze) and the code is FLR. It is also called Peretola and I can't figure out why. Perhaps the name of the area it is located? And previously it was called "Amerigo Vespucci Airport".

This is the official website: http://www.aeroporto.firenze.it/en/

I found it. I put in from Canada. Hertz has a decent rate I just don't know the areas well enough to choose a downtown location. I will do some map research.

Most all of the rental car companies are in a centralized area along Borgo Ognissanti just west of Piazza Ognissanti. Eurocar usually has the best rates but you may have points with Thrifty, Hertz or Avis. These are all walkable from all of the hotels in the historic center in ten to fifteen minutes.

Ask the rental agent to put the route to get out of town toward Siena on a map. And also the return route. It is important because there are cameras ringing the city that if you run through one it results in a $100 on your credit card three months after your trip. All of the rental car places are outside the "Zona Blu".

There are also rental car places at the airport, but that requires a 20 euro cab ride. Finally there is one Hertz location that is not in the center Via SanSovino (inconvenient).

Ok, thanks. one of the Hertz dealers is on that street you mentioned. I won't be using a car during florence stay. will get it at 8am and head for greve apartment. does zona bly mean no driving zone for me?

Yes, Zona Blu are the restricted areas in the Florence center. You can't drive there but I think it is easy to drive on a restricted road by mistake. I remember Jane writing about them for ST.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina