• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Florence next fall. Few basic questions.

Pati

10+ Posts
I know most of you have given up visiting Florence and Rome, but the couple times I’ve visited were too short or made short by the flu. I’m going alone, but have rented a place for a month and a half with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths because I know I will be visited by family and friends. I’ll be 73 at that time and walking longer than a mile brings on back pain. I know this is silly, but are there available benches to rest a bit on when the need arises? The times I’ve visited I realized what a wonderful walking town this would be, but those were the days before knee replacements. I’m assuming I can taxi or bus to the farther reaches of the city if necessary. I’m half Italian and am taking language classes, so I’m hoping the length of time I’m there will help with that.

I'm envisioning various piazze in both Florence and Rome in my head and am picturing lots of available benches to sit. The question is really how crowded they will be, and if you're in a busy piazza outside the ZTL, whether the car/bus exhaust might be a bit overpowering in certain spots. Of course, there are ample bars where you can have a drink or a coffee, although you will pay more to sit--and the price can be substantial in some of the major spots, e.g., Piazza della Signoria in Florence.

Generally, for walkability, I think Florence is a bit easier because the historical center is much more compact, whereas Rome is a big, sprawling city, and you may need a bus or cab more in the latter. I don't love the buses in Rome, but where you're there for a longer stay, irregular service may be less problematic for you, since presumably you're not trying to jam a tight sightseeing agenda into a couple of days.

You’re right, Lisa, thankfully I’m not in a hurry this trip. I’ve walked Rome a couple of times, and it is exhausting but exciting. I’m glad I did it when I could. Hopefully I’ll be able to build up some stamina in the year to come. I have gotten shots in my spine which help short term, so I’ll plan one before my trip. I’m also going to read trip reports to possibly find and hire a driver for a trip down the Chiantigiana. Thank you for your encouragement. I’ve found the travelers in this site to be incredibly generous.

We spent a couple days walking around Florence this past August. The only places I remember benches were outside the Uffizi and in a piazza near the entrance to the Academia. Of course I'm sure there were more, but I think you will find they are far and few around.

Of course my wife found ample places to sit ....... the ubiquitous shoe stores! :)

We spent a couple days walking around Florence this past August. The only places I remember benches were outside the Uffizi and in a piazza near the entrance to the Academia. Of course I'm sure there were more, but I think you will find they are far and few around.

Of course my wife found ample places to sit ....... the ubiquitous shoe stores! :)
Of course, I never would have thought of that. Thank you!

I'm just back from another visit to Rome, Florence and a couple of other places; and this time because of knee problems and having to use a cane for this, I had to sit down a fair bit.
I always found a spot to sit ,lean or perch; and never had to go looking for somewhere.
So I think you'll be fine.
If nothing else, a little rest inside a church is always available! and calming at the same time.
A couple of times, shopkeepers offered me a chair while I waited for my friends to shop!
They saw the cane and figured I could use a seat.
We also used the buses in Rome and Florence, and found that very easy.

I’m hoping to have surgery to alleviate stenosis of the spine so that by next fall, walking distances won’t cause pain. But thanks for reminding me of a cane. And churches!

I have had a bad back for ages, and am feeling less and less like walking for long distances w/o sitting to rest... so I do understand the need. A few years back, I twisted an ankle on the way to the airport. By the time I got to my destination on the way to Sicily, it was pretty swollen and tender. A friend insisted that i borrow her walking stick, and it was great to have on all those cobbled and unpaved streets, no handrail stairs at ruins, etc etc. I bought one for myself the minute I got home and now take it along for when needed. It is very lightweight, collapsible, goes in a daybag, and comes in quite handy. Made in Colorado by Rocky Mountain Amblers... not a substitute for a sit-down, but useful for leaning, steadying oneself on uneven pavements. Good luck!

Thank you for reminding me that I can find a collapsible cane or walking stick. I was just eyeing my mother’s bamboo cane that she bought when I took her to Paris. But I was wondering about it being allowed on the plane, since my mother brought hers back before 9/11. Thanks for the collapsible idea.

Well, I also know of a pretty fancy cane shop IN Florence, but that begs the question of getting it home (as with your mothers... not something to take a chance with at security). I almost always carry on, and have not had problems... but I do pack my stick in a checked bag if I do check anything.

The distinction between a cane and a walking/trekking stick is a little tricky. TSA approves canes to carry on, they are considered a mobility device, but a walking stick, collapsible or not, is not allowed. It might be up to the discretion of the agent on hand to determine if your collapsible cane/stick looks enough like a medical device and less like sporting goods. Documentation of need might help your case, but it is a risk, because the official policy is no Trekking poles allowed on board.

If you prefer the idea of a cool looking trekking stick instead of a "cane" then you could follow the advice above and buy one in Florence, and check it in a bag on the way home. I always go carry-on only, but on my return trip home will usually check a bag so I can carry on my precious purchases. No worries if my dirty laundry is delayed home, unlike the horror of delayed or lost luggage when arriving in Europe.

If you are actually using the cane when you depart and come home by plane, they won't care.
It is handy to have a fold up one as I did, as it takes less room in the overhead bin.
I was given a wooden one to go through security at the airport, as they scanned my own metal one.
I also was given, without asking, priority boarding on all my flights.
I was a bit embarrassed, but as it's only temporary till I get a new knee, I didn't feel too bad.
When we got to Rome I thought I would be invisible; but a huge security guard at passport control saw me with the cane, and practically forced me into a wheelchair telling my friend to "Run behind with the luggage"!
We were past the checkpoints and out in minutes.
It was hilarious but mortifying at the same time.
The kindness of strangers. :)

I’m hoping to have surgery to alleviate stenosis of the spine so that by next fall, walking distances won’t cause pain. But thanks for reminding me of a cane. And churches!

Just a vote of confidence for the surgery -- had same problem. Shots were of minimal help (and very short term). Got to point I was being limited in what I could do on walking trips and in my retirement avocation of coaching baseball. Had surgery (laminectomy and lumbar fusion) and 100% fixed the problems. Know every procedure has different potential outcomes, but hope yours is as successful as mine and that you are up and running for your future trips.

Thank you so much. I know back surgery is iffy, and some people advise doing everything possible to avoid it, but I have done a couple of years of shots, and physical therapy and everything else that was suggested and nothing really helped. I have put a deposit on an apartment in Florence and will do whatever it takes to be able to walk that beautiful city next fall. I don’t know how I missed the posts about the differences to TSA about canes and trekking sticks, but thank you for that info. I’ll say it again...the fellow humans on this site are incredibly kind and generous.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina