• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Florence Restaurants -- Suggestions Please!

Ann R

10+ Posts
I have my favorite Florence restaurants: Trattoria Sergio (lunch only), Osteria di Giovanni (dinner only), Munaciello (pizza only). But I have gotten stuck in a rut.

What are you favorite places to eat in Florence?

This is a thread which is music to my ears!!! I agree 100% with Debra's suggestion of Sostanza. THE BUTTER CHICKEN will become your new best friend. My group went for lunch at the end of April 2013. We were waiting outside before they opened. I don't think they take reservations.

Another great place in the Oltrarno is Alla Vecchia Bettola
http://www.florence.ala.it/bettola/ . Here is what I wrote about our meal there in a mini Florence trip report:

"This place was recommended by my Florentine friend Daniele. He has worked in the restaurant business for years. Our group was eight people and they set up a great table for us. Many of us thoroughly enjoyed the house pasta “alla bettola”, a light red cream sauce, somewhat spicy. Perfectly seasoned and aromatic. We also ordered two plates of lightly fried vegetables, almost a tempura coating. Light and not greasy. Excellent. Locals galore. A great location especially if you’re staying in the Santo Spirito or San Frediano area. Walking “home” with a half full bottle of chianti made the evening perfecto!

…..and another I recommend is:
http://www.anticoristorodicambi.it/?lang=en
EXCELLENT ribollita.

okay, two more and I'll stop!

http://www.osteriacipollarossa.com Near Medici Chapel. We went for lunch, did not have a reservation, I plan to return in October!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/osteria-vini-e-vecchi-sapori-firenze. Reservations are a must. We went for lunch and as we left there was a HUGE crowd waiting to get in. One of the best meals of the trip.

My favorite, although it has become a smidge "touristy" is Quattro Leoni
http://www.4leoni.it
The pear and pecorino ravioli is out of this world. I hope I dream about it tonight!!(that was 3 more…mi dispiace) :)

Hope this helps!! I have lists for October, so I'll watch this thread as well!!
(the EAT FLORENCE app is excellent).

Buon appetito!

Reading this thread makes me want to walk the streets of Florence and go to the places I love. My favorites include La Osteria Di Giovanni (lunch and dinner--Sunday is particularly fun), Osteria Cipolla Rossa (see above), Il Santo Bevitore, Gusta Pizza (for those nights when you just want a pizza), Enoteca La Barrique, and Osteria Pepo. But, also had good meals at Quattro Leoni and so many other places. Wish I could transport myself instantly to Florence right now.

As most of you should know, my favourite is Belcore (via dell'Albero, near SMN station), that is not a tipically Tuscan restaurant but in my opinion one of the best values in town. Second best, Toscanella (via Toscanella, near palazzo Pitti)

We loved the lunch we had with Ann at Osteria di Giovanni several years ago, but you say dinner is better? We always go to Trattoria Mario for one lunch while we are in town. A former favorite was Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco, but my husband has discovered other places where he prefers the wild boar ragu.

:):)
As most of you should know, my favourite is Belcore (via dell'Albero, near SMN station), that is not a tipically Tuscan restaurant but in my opinion one of the best values in town. Second best, Toscanella (via Toscanella, near palazzo Pitti)
I've made note of your favorite's Luca! Maybe we can meet for a meal when I'm there in October

I've been wanting to try Cipolla Rosa. What's the best dish there? Is the veal chop as good as Mario's?

I had the special of the day, tagliatelle with "pollo gli aromi". I took a photo of the hand written menu that day..let's see if I can post it here...

CipollaRossoMenu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My two favourites where is always go is firstly of all: Osteria Pepo, which Jerry mentioned and is directly across the tiny Via Rosina from my friend's apartment where I always stay.

The other, which is very near the Duomo, is Coquinarius on Via delle Oche,15R. It was recommended by Judy at Divina Cucina, here is a quote from her recommendation…"Hidden off the main street of Via Calzaiuoli, this is a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of Florence. Open from 9:00 until late at night, you can have breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner! Pastas are light and lovely. Salads are a full meal. Save room for their warm chocolate cake! The enoteca offers a fine selection of Italian, Austrian, Chilean, Argentine, and California wines".

Cheers,
Sandra

The last time we were there, one of my absolute favorites was Zeb (http://www.zebgastronomia.com)

Italy-Firenze-Zeb.jpg

It's also a food and wine shop and you can sit at the counter and watch the action. The food was traditional but with a fresh and seasonal emphasis. I loved the pasta dish that I ordered: tortellini stuffed with zucchini blossoms with mozzarella and zucchini and sprinkled with poppy seeds:

Italy-Firenze-ZebTort.jpg

So delicious I'm still thinking about it... :)

I have my favorite Florence restaurants: Trattoria Sergio (lunch only), Osteria di Giovanni (dinner only), Munaciello (pizza only). But I have gotten stuck in a rut. What are you favorite places to eat in Florence?
Hello - Try http://www.mangiafuocofirenze.it/ - run by Daniela and Barbara - wonderful non-tourist restaurant in the center. Very casual, good food and very friendly. Prices are mid-range. Daniela and Barbara are great, warm and kind people. You can also see the good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll be more than happy to enthusiastically second Zeb and Garga. My favorite "down home" place is Casalinga & we liked Il Santo Bevatore as well. But I gotta say that Garga got us twice & each time we thought it inventive & incredibly well done. And, while we're at it, there's a nice family run place in Santa Croce called Acquacotta that's just right for a low key, home cooked meal. And le Barrique was also worth going, although it may be a trek out to the San Frediano section in the Oltr'arno.

Thanks everyone for the additions to try for a new taste in Florence. Zeb and Cippola Rossa are definitely on my list. Also, I have been to the roast chicken stand on the Primo Piano of the Mercato Centale and I have to say it's different than Sostanza's chicken drowning in butter but it runs a close second.

For soccer fans, know that all of the games are going to be shown at Primo Piano which even without the games is a great place to eat and drink and is open 10am to midnight, seven days a week.

The other, which is very near the Duomo, is Coquinarius on Via delle Oche,15R. It was recommended by Judy at Divina Cucina, here is a quote from her recommendation…"Hidden off the main street of Via Calzaiuoli, this is a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of Florence. Open from 9:00 until late at night, you can have breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner! Pastas are light and lovely. Salads are a full meal. Save room for their warm chocolate cake! The enoteca offers a fine selection of Italian, Austrian, Chilean, Argentine, and California wines".
Cheers,
Sandra

Coquinarius has a much bigger place than 2 years ago but just down the street. I agree it's a great place for a light meal. The old location is now a Cocktail Bar -- rare in Florence -- with a great bar-man who is from London.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina