• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

For One Day - Marseilles or Cassis?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Our transatlantic cruise to the states has had a change of itinerary. Our Caribbean stop has been cancelled (no surprise there) and Marseilles France has been added.

Some have advised that Marseilles is nothing special, and recommended Cassis instead as a charming village. We'll be doing this on our own, and have fairly clear directions about taking the train, then a bus into Cassis. We're in port from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Cassis or Marseilles, or somewhere else?

For me, no contest -- definitely Cassis. But then I am less and less entranced by large cities, and love villages like Cassis. When we went there, we had a very scenic drive into the town as well: La Route des Cretes. But I don't know how much of that you'd see from the train or bus. That same website has a nice writeup on Cassis.

Edited to add: We were in Cassis several years ago in December, and it was actually nice enough to have a delicious seafood lunch outdoors along the harbor.

IMG_3363.jpg

Last edited:
We enjoyed Cassis as well in the earl 2000's. Lunch outdoors (boullibaise) followed by a boat tour of several Calanques, the lovely coves nearby Cassis. There were boats tied up at the harbor where you could directly buy tickets. Hope that's still the case! There was a beach right there, with a changing area, if that interests you.

IMG_0041.JPG
I agree...we love Cassis. But then we only drove through Marseilles, so I cannot really speak to that city. The Route des Cretes was beautiful, but you drive it. Not sure how you would do this by train or bus. Cassis is not that far from Marseilles...do you really have to take a train and a bus? Possibly hire a driver to take you there?
The above is a picture I took while driving the Route des Cretes.

Thank you all! I'm checking into taxi prices - apparently we'll be docked 8-10 kilometers north of Marseilles, so the time just getting from the port, to the train station, taking the train, then the bus into Cassis just seems too long, so a taxi, maybe split among 2 couples, might be the best way. Aix-in-Provence is about 45 minutes away by train, so I eliminated that, even tho it was my first choice. Cassis is actually closer, but it might take more than 45 minutes to get there using public transport.

If the transportation to Cassis is unwieldy, and the train to Aix-en-Provence is just 45 minutes, that could be a great day trip. As I recall, the train station is outside the older city centre, so you might need a taxi. Once there, it's very walkable and delightful. Outdoor markets several days a week, and Cezanne's studio is up the hill from the Cours Mirabeau, which has lovely cafes with outdoor seating. Churches, museums and lots of shops to explore.

I agree, Joana...we stayed a week in an apartment in Aix in 2014. It is a lovely town...it would make a nice day trip!

Cassis is a pleasant seaside resort town. We visited on a day trip in Oct. 2012, enjoyed an outdoor lunch by the harbor and the shortest boat trip to the calanques (visiting 3 was enough for us), even took a brief swim at the beach. Liked it well enough to return for a week in Oct. 2014, when we rented on the outskirts of the town. Have never been to Marseilles.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina