• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

France train question

Linda Yoder

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Can someone please tell me if there is much difference between economy, comfort, and Premier seats? We will be taking a train from Colmar to Avignon. So about a 4 1/2 hour train ride. I don't want to waste money but I also don't want to feel cramped and uncomfortable either!

Linda, are you buying your tickets on www.trainline.eu? This is the best website to use. I'm really only familiar with first and second class tickets on SNCF trains... not sure what's meant by economy, comfort and premium.

I think second class seats are just fine... you'd have plenty of room. It's better than riding "coach" on a plane. In first class, the coach is configured a bit differently and there seems to be more room for luggage. But sometimes if you're buying far enough in advance, first class tickets are just a little more than second class, like sometimes just 10 euro. If the difference is small, then I "splurge" on the first class seats.

(Also, note than "PREM" fares aren't refundable. )

Kathy,
No, the first tickets I bought from Frankfort to Colmar I bought on Raileurope. Should I not have? I'll look on trainline for the others I need to buy. It is strange how the one has 3 classes and the other 2 for the same train? weird!

We always recommend www.trainline.eu for buying tickets in France and they offer tickets in many other European countries too. They can offer the same prices in France as SNCF. I have no idea what the three classes are... maybe something to do with a refundable ticket. Rail Europe is an online agency and I think they build in some fees and don't offer the deeply discounted fares.

Wow, I just checked the difference in the train costs for the same train on the two sites and I'm shocked!
Trainline 73.00 or 79.00
Raileurope 85.00 92.00 202.00

Makes me ill thinking about how much I was probably over charged on the tickets from Frankfurt to Colmar. I think I wont look. :-(

Check the prices on www.trainline.eu for the Frankfurt to Colmar train. (You might even consider a different schedule.)

Is your Rail Europe ticket fully refundable? If so, maybe you should cancel it? But don't wait, as the discounted fares on the other site are limited. Also, they're not refundable, though I think you can buy insurance.

They are non refundable. Do you think I should buy my tickets from Colmar to Avignon now on trainline or just wait until we get there?

Linda, tickets on the French trains are usually available beginning 90 days before the day of travel. (Some budget TGV trains available earlier, but you won't see the full schedule of trains.) To get the lowest "PREM" fares, you should buy as close as possible to that 90 day point. The longer you wait, the more expensive the tickets will be and would likely be very expensive if you buy last-minute. (Note that PREM fares aren't refundable.) So if you're within that 90 day window, I would buy now!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina