• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Free rail transfer from Spain's Renfre for airport connections

Sandrac

100+ Posts
Yesterday, i discovered that if you arrive in Madrid's central Atoche rail station by Renfre's high-speed Ave rail service, there is a very convenient train out to the Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport, at no extra charge.

I was especially happy because I had been seriously thinking about taking a cab from Atoche to the airport, which would have easily cost 20 euro and probably more. But a few weeks earlier, I had such an uncomfortable experience using the Express Bus service from the airport to Atoche rail station that I really wasn't sure I wanted to do that again.

Here's a link with a few more details: https://help.loco2.com/article/410-free-transfers-from-renfe-combinado-cercanias

The cash savings were perhaps not that significant but it just made the transfer much smoother (especially for someone with too much post-shopping luggage)!

Cheers,
Sandra

Thanks for posting this useful information. I just checked our tickets from Toledo to Madrid, but it appears the free transfer doesn't apply to the Avant trains. I had been planning to take the Express bus to the airport from Atocha, but now you've got me wondering if I should explore the Cercanias option - even if we have to pay for it.

You say you had an uncomfortable experience on the express bus in the past. Could you elaborate? Is the train to the airport a better option?

Hi Bruce,
What I disliked about the Express Bus was its overcrowding and poor layout. The Express Bus I rode in 2 weeks ago was simply a city bus slightly refitted with a luggage rack that filled up very quickly. I had expected it would be the sort of larger, purpose-built bus made for moving travelers with luggage. So, more seats and with space underneath to hold most of the luggage that travelers usually have (like a Greyhound or tourist bus).

There certainly weren't enough seats, so many people were standing with their luggage tucked around their feet for the trip that took an hour -- from T4 of the Madrid airport to Anoch train station.

This was a Thursday at about 4 p.m. so that might be a rush hour for people using the bus. And for 5 euros, the price is hard to beat.

With the train, it worked beautifully for me yesterday because the Ave train arrived almost at the point where the airport rail line starts so transfer on was easy. The train goes to T4 at the airport, which is the terminal that I was flying from (I live in Rome). Perhaps from other terminals the train is less convenient.

I hope this is helpful!
Cheers,
Sandra

Very helpful, thanks so much. I, too, would have expected a Greyhound-type coach and it's disappointing to hear that they oversold the seats. Even though we don't have the free transfer option with our Renfe tickets, the Cercanias train sounds like a better option. It can't be that much more expensive than the Express Bus and besides, we are heading for T4 at the airport as well.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina