• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

French rail strikes May 2019

Lindie

10+ Posts
We are considering a few days in Arles before returning to Barcelona for our flight home at the end of May. My question is: if French trains go on strike, what are the options for getting back to Barcelona for our plane? We have two non-refundable airline tickets, and missing that departure would put us in a bind. (We will be going to Arles from Barcelona by train also.) Are there Spanish or European trains as opposed to French trains that wouldn't go on strike?

SNCF operatse a bus system called ouibus. It has a bus Arles->Barcelona. The good news is that it is very cheap. The bad news is that it lasts 7.5 hours. It leaves at 9 something in the morning.
You take it in Arles at 21 avenue du Maréchal Leclerc (near train station).

Thank you, Parigi. We will actually be spending our last night before our flight leaves in Girona...does the bus (or the train, for that matter, stop in Girona?)

There are too many unknowns.
You did not indicate your travel dates. Train and bus and strike information are not available months ahead.

My recommendation would be :

1. When you are about 4 to 6 weeks before travel dates, google "Arles Girona bus". Or use Google Map's pubictransport function.

2. Consider the mainline factor
Bear in mind that Arles is - although wonderful and is one of my favorite cities - not on the train/bus mainline. All itineraries Arles-Girona will be long, involving 2 or more buses, sometimes with long waits in stations.

3. Consider Nîmes.
I read a post title by you where you express an interest in Romanesque architecture. Have you considered Nimes ? It is on the mainline and has more user-friendly buses to Girona. Nimes is bigger than Arles, has beautiful Roman ruins and other archeological gems, plus good food, especially at its market La Halle de Nîmes. If you make Nîmes your base, you can take a short train or local bus to arles. By local train it takes about 30 minutes. Longer by bus.

Thank you, Andrew and Parigi! Very helpful advice.
There are too many unknowns.
You did not indicate your travel dates. Train and bus and strike information are not available months ahead.

My recommendation would be :

1. When you are about 4 to 6 weeks before travel dates, google "Arles Girona bus". Or use Google Map's pubictransport function.

2. Consider the mainline factor
Bear in mind that Arles is - although wonderful and is one of my favorite cities - not on the train/bus mainline. All itineraries Arles-Girona will be long, involving 2 or more buses, sometimes with long waits in stations.

3. Consider Nîmes.
I read a post title by you where you express an interest in Romanesque architecture. Have you considered Nimes ? It is on the mainline and has more user-friendly buses to Girona. Nimes is bigger than Arles, has beautiful Roman ruins and other archeological gems, plus good food, especially at its market La Halle de Nîmes. If you make Nîmes your base, you can take a short train or local bus to arles. By local train it takes about 30 minutes. Longer by bus.

Thank you, Parigi.

We will arrive in Provence May 27 and leave May 30.

Thanks for pointing out the mainline factor...I hadn't thought of that. I had the impression that day tours were easier to come by in Arles, rather than Nimes.

Regarding Romanesque architecture, I was actually thinking about churches built in this style around the 11th century, rather than buildings left by the Romans. The Vall de Boi is a World Heritage Site because of a string of nine Romanesque churches strung along a narrow, sparsely populated valley. They contain reproductions of frescos, the originals of which were moved to the National Museum of Catalonian Art in Barcelona for conservation.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina