• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Galway to Wicklow Mountains

Lindie

10+ Posts
After a walking trip in SW Ireland, a friend and I will spend four nights in Galway starting July 1, one night in Ennis, and then return home from Shannon July 6. We will not rent a car but plan to take day trips from Galway using public transit, small group tours, or, if necessary, we could hire a driver for a day. (Recommendation for such a person or service would be quite welcome.)

I know that the Wicklow Mountains are usually and sensibly visited as a day trip from Dublin. Is there any way at all to do it as a day trip from Galway?

Not knowing much about the area, I've come up with two ideas and need to know if either is feasible.

1. Take a super early train from Galway to Dublin and link up with one of the group tours leaving from there, returning to Galway on a night train. (I'm assuming I can get a non-stop train early morning and late evening. Is that true?) How far ahead would I have to reserve this?

2. The other idea is to arrange for a driver or guide to meet us in a small town on the train or bus line nearest the park, then have them take us on a tour or hike and return us to the station for a night trip back to Galway.

This is my first trip to Ireland and I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very typical response in Ireland when you ask directions are "Well, I wouldn't start from here!" And I am afraid that was my first instinct. I think all of the day tours to the Wicklow mountains ( and there are many) start from the centre of Dublin at 9 am, a little before or a little after. If you are dead set on seeing Wicklow then the most sensible way to do it is with a driver from the arrival station. You could risk getting a 5.30 train from Galway which arrives in Dublin at 8 but that is a very long day.... and if the train is delayed you miss your tour departure. There are no sensible points along the route to get off and go cross country as it stops at very few stations anyway.

There is one other way. Get the train to Heuston Station in Dublin and then a bus to St Stephens's Green ( it was the 145 but they have been rerouting recently so double check)from where you can pick up St Kevin's bus every day at 11.30. It is just a bus service, not a tour, but takes you to Glendalough in time for lunch. I think it leaves to come back about 4 hours later so maybe not long enough in Wicklow for you. The timetable is here http://glendaloughbus.com/timetable.aspx

I've only been to Ireland once and know nothing about the Wicklow Mountains, but why do you want to see them? There are wonderful things closer to Galway that would be easier to do. You could possibly leave Wicklow for another trip.

We spent a week on the Connemara coast, north of Galway.

Thank you, Felicity...I had a feeling that you would be the first to respond, having helped me so much in the past!

I've only been to Ireland once and know nothing about the Wicklow Mountains, but why do you want to see them? There are wonderful things closer to Galway that would be easier to do. You could possibly leave Wicklow for another trip.

We spent a week on the Connemara coast, north of Galway.

Yes, I think that makes more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it that you specifically want to see in the Wicklow Mountains? If it is Glendalough (which is wonderful) then you might consider Clonmacnoise instead which is a lot nearer to Galway and can be done by public transport. See details here
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Galway/Clonmacnoise

It doesn't have the dramatic mountain scaery but is a lovely early Christian site with round towers, ruined churches and some marvellous carved crosses.

Thank you Eleanor and Pauline. My main interest is just that I have heard others raving about the beauty of the Wicklow Mountains. And BTW, Eleanor, where was that picture of you taken? I want to go there!

The Wicklow Mountains are beautiful, but then so is County Galway....

The picture was taken in the Sirra Nevada Mountians near Lanheron in southern Spain. You can read about my trip here.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina