• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Getting Into Venice From The Airport

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I read THIS THREAD about the various ways to get to Venice from the airport, but as usual, my question is slightly different. As you would expect, most of the transportation options are near the arrivals hall, but we'll be dropping off our rental car - at the Venice airport, but who knows where it will really be! So - we may have to take the rental company shuttle back to the terminal, or walk, but regardless, it never seems easy to find the arrivals area, at least for me. I've never been to the Venice airport, so I don't have any idea how it's configured - maybe it's easy as pie (but it's in Italy, so I doubt it) - so I thought I'd see if anyone might have some insight. Thanks in advance!

Venice airport is actually pretty compact, and easy to find your way around. The car rental car park is at P2 on this map: just a short walk to the terminal. And the arrivals hall is on the ground floor: the terminal map shows where the various transportation desks are.

I can't remember what your plans are once you've dropped the car off, but the buses into Venice (and the land taxis) leave from the road straight outside the central door of the terminal. If you want the Alilaguna or a water taxi, follow Susie's route to the water dock, as in that other thread.

Thanks Jonathan. We plan to swing by our hotel, drop off the luggage, then drop off the car and head into Venice for the afternoon and evening. I'm leaning towards taking the bus, since it seems to be much faster than the Alilaguna.

The first foot I ever set on European soil was when I stepped off a plane at the Venice airport a few years ago...my mom and I were total travel newbies but decided to make our way to our hotel (Al Ponte Mocenigo) by local bus and vaporetto. Who knows what possessed us...we weren't used to taking public transportation in our own area, let alone a foreign country. We were so proud of ourselves for not getting lost!

(Not that my story has any bearing on your question, really...just to say that I'm partial to the bus, I guess! lol)

AS Jonathan mentioned, the Venice airport is surprisingly small, so once we'd dropped off our car we simply walked to the terminal where we saw various buses. A young woman approached us, asked where we wanted to go, sold us our tickets, validated them and told us where to wait for the bus, which arrived every 30 minutes.

We'd asked at our hotel what bus to catch from Venice, so once we arrived in Venice, we bought our tickets for the return, found the right lane for our bus and were off for the day! Thank you to everyone who helped me understand my options.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina