• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Going back to Italy

JimL

10+ Posts
Going back to beautiful Italy for 3rd trip in 3 years. Rome for a week in the Monti area then Orvieto for 1 night then Sorrento for a week to see Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Paestum and Herculaneum. If you have restaurant suggestions in any of these areas I would be thankful. Also any offbeat things to do or see that would not be covered in the Rick Steves books or travel blogs such as Tripadvisor. Grazie

Hi Jim
Do you need accomodation recommendations for any of the spots you mentioned or are you all set there? We loved the hotel we stayed at in the Monti and our inn in Positano was great.
We did a cool cheese farm tour out of Positano too. I will search for the info. (Also an awesome restaurant we kayaked to from Positano but maybe you’ve done this stuff already?

Kportgrl, thanks for your post. We have our accommodations reserved. You are considerate to offer advice. My avatar is a photo of where we are staying in Sorrento, Marina Piccola 73. It sits on the Marina Piccola Bay. We are a few yards from the water edge. Our room will face the bay and we can watch the ferry boats come and go all day. Any restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Ciao

... Also any offbeat things to do or see that would not be covered in the Rick Steves books or travel blogs such as Tripadvisor. ...

If you are very interested in Roman sites like Pompeii, there are two smaller ones nearby that are not as popular. But, thinking it over, I would rather give more time to Pompeii than add these other smaller sites. We've visited Pompeii 3 times but only on the last time saw the Villa of Mysteries.

The two other sites are:
  • Villa San Marco in Castellmare di Stabia at the Stabia archaeological site, a large villa destroyed by Vesuvius when Pompeii was destroyed. Fabulous. It is easy to find, there was lots of parking and there were only a few people there.
  • Oplontis (Villa Poppea) in Torre Annunziata near Pompeii, is another villa, smaller than Stabia and closer to Pompeii. Interesting frescoes.
My trip report from our last trip: Positano in November 2017. We like to go hiking in that area, so much of the trip report is about that. This post is about those two other sites.

As much as I love Paestum, you might want to skip it only because it is a long way from Sorrento. Will you be driving there?

Have a look in our Italy Trip Reports forum. There are several about the Sorrento/Amalfi Coast area.

On our last visit to Rome (10/2017), we visited 3 sites we had never been to before...the Domus Aurea (near the Colosseum) and the Domus Romane (near Trajan’s Column)...both were very interesting. We also visited the Underground and the newly opened upper tiers of the Colosseum...also very interesting. None of these are very offbeat, but thought I would mention them if you had not already visited these sites. If you have never visited the Scavi under St. Peter’s, that is also quite interesting. I not sure when you are going, but you have to send your written request for this several months in advance. The last 2 times we went to Rome, we were with friends who had never done the Scavi tour...so we have now done it 3 times!
Restaurants in Rome that we have enjoyed in our past 2 trips...Emma-Pizzeria con Cucina (http://www.emmapizzeria.com/); Voglia di Pizza (http://www.vogliadipizzaglutenfree.com/); and Ai Balesttrari (https://www.aibalestrari.com/welcome.html).
Our favorite restaurant in Orvieto has been and still is I Sette Consoli.
We have not been back to the Amalfi Coast since 2005, so no unusual activities or restaurant recommendations there as they would be very dated.

If you are very interested in Roman sites like Pompeii, there are two smaller ones nearby that are not as popular. But, thinking it over, I would rather give more time to Pompeii than add these other smaller sites. We've visited Pompeii 3 times but only on the last time saw the Villa of Mysteries.

The two other sites are:
  • Villa San Marco in Castellmare di Stabia at the Stabia archaeological site, a large villa destroyed by Vesuvius when Pompeii was destroyed. Fabulous. It is easy to find, there was lots of parking and there were only a few people there.
  • Oplontis (Villa Poppea) in Torre Annunziata near Pompeii, is another villa, smaller than Stabia and closer to Pompeii. Interesting frescoes.
My trip report from our last trip: Positano in November 2017. We like to go hiking in that area, so much of the trip report is about that. This post is about those two other sites.

As much as I love Paestum, you might want to skip it only because it is a long way from Sorrento. Will you be driving there?

Have a look in our Italy Trip Reports forum. There are several about the Sorrento/Amalfi Coast area.

The two other sites are:

Pauline. Thanks so much for this useful advice.

On our last visit to Rome (10/2017), we visited 3 sites we had never been to before...the Domus Aurea (near the Colosseum) and the Domus Romane (near Trajan’s Column)...both were very interesting. We also visited the Underground and the newly opened upper tiers of the Colosseum...also very interesting. None of these are very offbeat, but thought I would mention them if you had not already visited these sites. If you have never visited the Scavi under St. Peter’s, that is also quite interesting. I not sure when you are going, but you have to send your written request for this several months in advance. The last 2 times we went to Rome, we were with friends who had never done the Scavi tour...so we have now done it 3 times!
Restaurants in Rome that we have enjoyed in our past 2 trips...Emma-Pizzeria con Cucina (http://www.emmapizzeria.com/); Voglia di Pizza (http://www.vogliadipizzaglutenfree.com/); and Ai Balesttrari (https://www.aibalestrari.com/welcome.html).
Our favorite restaurant in Orvieto has been and still is I Sette Consoli.
We have not been back to the Amalfi Coast since 2005, so no unusual activities or restaurant recommendations there as they would be very dated.
Mom83, thanks for the tips. We took the Scavi tour 2 years ago. WONDERFUL, and would recommend it anyone.

Hi Jim
Do you need accomodation recommendations for any of the spots you mentioned or are you all set there? We loved the hotel we stayed at in the Monti and our inn in Positano was great.
We did a cool cheese farm tour out of Positano too. I will search for the info. (Also an awesome restaurant we kayaked to from Positano but maybe you’ve done this stuff already?
I would love to have your stay recs as I am planning a September trip to the Amalfi coast

Hi Cbrad50 , we stayed at Villa La Sirene in Positano. It was well located, reasonably priced and had a beautiful garden, where we could pick lettuce up for dinner. Friendly hosts as well. They even brought homemade tiramisu to us one day. It is small, So you should book early if you are interested.

Going back to beautiful Italy for 3rd trip in 3 years. Rome for a week in the Monti area then Orvieto for 1 night then Sorrento for a week to see Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Paestum and Herculaneum. If you have restaurant suggestions in any of these areas I would be thankful. Also any offbeat things to do or see that would not be covered in the Rick Steves books or travel blogs such as Tripadvisor. Grazie

It's been a while, so I'm wary of offering restaurant recommendation, though I doubt Cumpo Cosimo in Ravello would be anything below it's long time 'wonderful trattoria'. Ditto A'Paranza for seafood in Atrani.

Walking is very much a way to find off the beaten track peace and tranquiliity, plus deto develop calf muscles of steel. Do allow time to simply admire the stunning views, but also save some energy by taking the bus up and walking down where practical. The Tippett guide remains excellent and relevant. For the energetic, the pathway of the gods walk is the 'daddy', but it can also be chunked up (as can msot of the walks). My favourites have been the valley of the mills walk ending in Amalfi, plus one not in the book, but a lovely cool woodland walk inland from between Ravello and Scala. Bus (from Positano) up to Montepertuso and walk back down is surprisingly short, considering how high it is. The wlak gives an almost constant view of Positano from above. Similarly the walk to Torre dello Ziro gives a view of Amalfi that feels like you are hovering above it.

Atrani is a perfect antidote to any stinking hot days, and is a remarkable piece of architecture.

Pasticceria Andrea Pansa in Amalfi was always a gem and I doubt that has changed. Eat in or take away.

Enjoy the local foods, from figs and lemons to fish and seafood to aubergines (melanzane) and olives. The odd pizzs can be enjoyable, but it would be a shame to miss out on what is special locally.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina