• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Greece

Lisa, this is amazing -- the house you rented is the one I linked in post #15 above. Sounds like you would still recommend it??? Thanks, Ann

Lisa, this is amazing -- the house you rented is the one I linked in post #15 above. Sounds like you would still recommend it??? Thanks, Ann
Ann,
Too funny. Yes, it's the same house. We stayed there about 5 years ago. It was owned by a British couple but they sold it. I loved the house. We rented the winepress one. I loved the area. I don't know what either is like now. There was a lot of development going on. One of the reasons the couple sold is that they felt it was becoming to British. Funny b/c they were from Britain. Anyway, we loved the area. We rented a car and went on lovely hikes. Gavalahori had a cople of good cafes. It is also a short drive to a great beach. And some working towns with great fruit and veggie places. Mmm I'd go back in a flash. but not in the summer.

Hi Ann, I'm back among the living if you have any questions etc about Crete. As Lisa mentioned, it probably will be hot, so always a good idea to do the sights in early morning, and then have a siesta Greek style after a late lunch–or else head to the mountains. Are you thinking of renting a house? Just wanted to say that the nicest houses to rent are in the west, but the best archaeological sites are near the centre of the island (Knossos, Gortyn, Phaistos, Ag. Triada, Lato) where there aren't many, unfortunately. Just be sure to AVOID the coast east of Heraklion, especially anywhere Malia. If you google specific villages you can find places though, such as this in Archanes, just above Knossos: http://www.eliathos.gr/accommodation-arhanes/family-residence-crete.aspx

Thanks, Dana -- glad the article is finished and you've returned to the living. Actually, Paul and I are lucky enough to be able to go to Greece in the spring -- it's Jane and Ken with their son Casey who will go in the summer. And yes, we're definitely going to rent a house, in Crete and elsewhere in Greece, where we plan to stay about 4 weeks. Thanks for the link to the places in Archanes, which look perfect. Planning this trip will be fun and a real change from our usual return to France or Italy, so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks, Dana -- glad the article is finished and you've returned to the living. Actually, Paul and I are lucky enough to be able to go to Greece in the spring -- it's Jane and Ken with their son Casey who will go in the summer.
Ooops! That's right. Writing 9,000 words in two weeks has obviously scrambled what few brains I have left!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina