• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess This Photo - April 2018

This is a three parter!
  • What is this?
  • Where is this?
  • Who is that handsome man?
guess-photo-4989.jpg

What: Markers that Romans left to show distance
Where: Roman road Via Domitia outside of Beaucaire
Who: George Clooney's younger brother Steve

I like the multiple parts Pauline! So...

Where is the location of this photo?
What happen here in the late 1800s early 1900s that changed the world?
Who was the person driving this revolutionary change?

guess4318.jpg

It’s the Needles, off the Isle of Wight.

The person is Marconi. I then had to go to Google to find out the significance. "On 15 November Saint Paul became the first ocean liner to report her imminent return to Great Britain by wireless when Marconi's Royal Needles Hotel radio station contacted her 66 nautical miles off the English coast."

This lead to the development of Transatlantic telephone cables and wireless transmiting stations... In 1901 the first Transatlantic radio signal was received at Signal Hill in Newfoundland.
Screen shot 2018-04-03 at 15.13.48.png

Very Good - Very Quick!

Eleanor - You are Up!

I think that's the Ring of Brodgar in Orkney, as magically atmospheric as any of the prehistoric sights.

Footnote: I was much taken by a TV documentary showing how the culture of building stone rings may well have spread south from Orkney, rather than the other way round.

Full marks Patrick. I too watched that documentary and it was fascinating. The ancient remains on Orkney are mindblowing and so many have survived.

Over to you.

Here's one that may be off the beaten track for most visitors. Points either for where it is or what it's about!
2911610409_4699331636_o_d.jpg

I thought I posted earlier, must not have hit enter.

I found this using google, but it is too cool to allow a computer to answer. The back story should provide some wonderful clues to the answer. Social History is one of my favorite things to read and study. It must have been an interesting time in Europe (UK) leading up to this event.

That would be "interesting" in the Chinese proverb sense...

(Especially now that the old issues of that time are showing signs of re-emergence, one hopes as farce this time around).

Sounds like you're up next, Colo? Perhaps you'd like to tell the class what you've found..

I'm going to make a guess.
I think the mural is probably modern, but it's style is pre WWII. So given the labour banners, the fascist elements and the police, I'd guess it is in the East End of London and a commemoration of the Battle of Cable Street?

Patrick,

I think Tim has it! But I will let you confirm. I did some reading on the unrest and riots leading up to Cable St incident and it was really interesting.

Bingo, Tim! A major local event here in the east end. The mural is on the side of St George's Town Hall, on Cable Street (where one of the new "cycle superhighways" runs, so I often pass there en route to central London). If anyone wants to see it on a visit, it's a short walk from Shadwell station, and only a bit further is Wilton's Music Hall, which is worth a visit too. The 100 bus runs past there too.

(Sorry, Pauline, can't help on the Amalfi coast).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina