• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - March 2018

Eleanor

1000+ Posts
Where might you see her? (She is standing on a plinth which I've cropped out as it would give this away)
Screen shot 2018-03-02 at 20.23.23.png

.......well it's not Boudicca, Joan of Arc, or Emmeline Pankhust, so it must be a famous lady from Lincolnshire ?

.......well it's not Boudicca, Joan of Arc, or Emmeline Pankhust, so it must be a famous lady from Lincolnshire ?

I don't see a handbag...

It's not Lady Godiva either...

No handbag either but if you look closely she has bells on her toes....

Last edited:
Well done JustTravel. I was hoping someone would pick up the clue. The nursery rhyme is written round the top of the plinth.
Screen shot 2018-03-04 at 08.11.26.png

And this is Banbury Cross...
Screen shot 2018-03-04 at 08.09.53.png

Banbury once had three medieval crosses but they were destroyed in 1601. The present cross was erected to commemorate the wedding of Queen Victoria’s eldest daughter to the Crown Prince of Prussia in 1859. The three statues of King Edward VII, King George V and Queen Victoria were added in 1911 to commemorate the cornonation of George V.

Your turn next.

Last edited:
It took quite a bit of googling to find a Triumphal Arch with only one arch. Nearly all of them seem to have three,
Screen shot 2018-03-09 at 11.42.54.png

Now for something completely different... Where am I now?

Is that the village in the prisoner - Portmeirion?
It's been a few decades since I saw that, so I might be way off base.

It is Ian - and couldn't be anywhere else. I went back a couple of years ago and enjoyed it as much as ever.
Screen shot 2018-03-11 at 08.56.37.png

Set in North Wales, Portmeirion was designed by the quirky architect Sir Clough Williams Ellis who lived at Plas Brondanw a few miles away. He was an advocate for the establishment Snowdonia National Park. At Portmeirion, he wanted to show how an area like this could be developed without spoiling its natural beauty. He did this over 50 years by creating an eye striking Italianate style village, using pieces from demolished buildings. The only pre-existing building was the Castell Deudraeth, a Victorian castellated mansion, which has been restored as an upmarket hotel.

It is a photographers delight as he uses trees and buildings to create different vistas which change as you walk around the village. It is also surrounded by woodland with lakes and follies and miles of footpaths. If you are in the area, it is well worth visiting. The gardens at Plas Brondanw are aslo open (but not the house) and are also worth visiting. Williams Ellis has used the same design tricks here but using trees and hedges to form the different vistas. It also has a good cafe...
Screen shot 2018-03-11 at 08.54.33.png

Over to you Ian and where next?

Attachments

• 1520758624617.png
    1520758624617.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina