• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hello from PDX and thanks to Ian!!

jmc

10+ Posts
Hello Slow Travelers!

First, many thanks to @Ian Sutton who responded to some questions I posted about Piemonte and specifically Torino on the Wine Berserkers board, which led to this AMAZING Place!

At some level, I think my wife and I have always been slow travelers, beginning with 10 days in Venice for our honeymoon waaaaayyy back in 2002. We had to "re-learn" we were slow travelers in 2019 when we split 13 days between Dijon, Lyon, and Bordeaux, lost a ton of stuff, travleing and always felt a bit rushed, running from one place to another.

We feel the "gift" of slow travel (and perhaps many agree) is the people we get to know a bit as opposed to "meet" along the way. We will never forget one of trips to Rome when we stayed for two weeks in an apartment in the Prati. The owners recommended Cantiani on Via Cola di Rienzo for morning coffee. The first day we walked in, we totally screwed it up and paid at the counter *before* going to the bar and ordering our coffee and Cornetti, and just about sent the Nona over the edge.

We watched and learned, you order and drink and eat first and *then* take the ticket to counter to pay on the way out. We made a point to go there every day, except for one or two day trips. Slowly the Nona forgave and even smiled at us, we got to know the baristas who would see us walk in and start our coffee, and to say hello to the othe regulars. On our last day, when we told Nona we had to go home, we got tears and a big hug - so precious.

Likewise, our first ever wine tour with a guy named Vincent Pontet in Lyon, have evolved into deep friendship over the years.

I am sure the stories like this are legion and I just want to say thank you to everyone for all the great information, I cannot wait to read and learn and contribute after our trip to Torino this fall.

Cool!
There are a couple of people here planning trips to Torino this year, plus a couple who have been there more recently than me, so there should be some good opportunity to share thoughts.

That bar thing is a very understandable mistake, as tradition was often to do exactly as you did! However that experience of returning and being welcomed so warmly is something very special in Italy, away from the mass tourism trail.

Sometimes I feel the mental pressure of wanting to get the most out of a holiday, by trying different places, and might even berate myself as boring/unadventurous for returning to the same place. Italy is gently breaking me from that mindset, through exactly the sort of experience you described.

Hello jmc and welcome to a friendly forum!
We are hoping to be in Piemonte this October. If you've never been there, you're in for a great experience. Don't hesitate to post any questions you might have. If they're not about wine, even I might be able to help....;)

Italy is gently breaking me from that mindset, through exactly the sort of experience you described.

@Ian Sutton - sorry for the late reply, we were out for the past 6 days visiting family in Southern Illinois and it had been a while, so the schedule was PACKED! Not Slow travel AT ALL - Phew!

Anyway, I toally agree about Italy - we have been back to Lyon a bunch of times, but other than Vincent and his team at his wine bar, we have not conencted like we have connected in Italy. It has been a lot of years, so I am looking to getting back!

Hello jmc and welcome to a friendly forum!
We are hoping to be in Piemonte this October. If you've never been there, you're in for a great experience. Don't hesitate to post any questions you might have. If they're not about wine, even I might be able to help....;)
@joe - thanks for the warm welcome - I will indeed ask some questions once I have done my research on this excellent forum - thanks!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina