• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help me identify these costumed/uniformed people?

devarae

100+ Posts
Hopefully the attached video to this post works...

Yesterday at Saint Peter's Basilica in the Vatican we saw several large tour groups of folks in a striking uniform (?) of green coats lined in red over white breeches and black boots. There was also one woman in a matching outfit with an enormous dome-like hat. It sounded as if they might have been speaking German?

My googling has not yet identified them... Anyone have any ideas?

The attached video is short but shows a bit of the costumes.

Attachments

• PXL_20221003_100241010.mp4
    5.6 MB
My phone opened the link, but my computer didn't....
FWIW, I didn't succeed in googling the costume either.

Here's a still screenshot of the video... Hopefully that comes through better!

Screenshot_20221004-170641.png

It looks like some sort of formal uniform or national costume..... but apart from that, I've no idea and, as Joe says, Google isn't helping either.

Pure guesswork, but green-white-red says either Italy or Hungary to me. The full skirts and feathered hat are not unlike some traditional dress in central Europe, e.g. Tirol in Austria (but then again, compare and contrast with the Italian Bersaglieri helmet....)

On the other hand, if they were speaking German, they might indeed be some Austrian folklore or religious organisation - or maybe from South Tirol (Alto Adige), in Italy, but German-speaking.

Just another thought: in Austrian Tirol there's a thriving band culture - many villages can field a band of 40-50 people, and there are regular concerts, festivals and parades for major religious festivals. The full skirts and feathered hats are very reminiscent of the women's clothes in such bands, but the Austrian men tend to a rather more sober traditional peasant look, rather than 18th century soldiers. But maybe across the border they've adopted a more flamboyant Italian style?

Those are all good thoughts! I still haven't been able to find anything with google but maybe one day!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina