• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hi All

Aussie Greg

10+ Posts
Suffering severe 'France Withdrawal' symptoms and wishing I was heading back this year. Looks like it will be late 2018 or 2019 whenever.
However, was looking back over some of my photos from our June 2017 trip and noticed by chance this inscription on top stone of the tower portion of a building in Chablis.
I can make out the date as either 1585 or 1685, but the wording is not quite so clear.
I think it says: This Tower here(?) [possibly] made (Fait?) and then a quite clear word....GOMACE, the 26 July(?) 15(or 6)85.
What is GOMACE......possibly a person?
Chablis, top stone.jpg
DSCN0742.JPG

Does anyone have any thoughts on this inscription, or know of where I could enquire further.
Would appreciate any input please.
I hope those of you off to France this Summer/Fall have a wonderful time.
Regards Greg

Maybe Gomace is a family name? When I googled that word I got hits on ancestry.com.

You could contact the local tourist office, or the city hall for the nearest town. Maybe they would know. In England there is a registry of all old buildings. Is there something like this for France?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina