• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hikes in Israel new website

I found that site just before our November trip and bought some of their maps. We did their hikes around Jerusalem on that trip, and in March we did some of their Galilee hikes. It is a great site!

We got to meet Erez who runs the site and spent a day hiking with him and his wife near Nazareth.

Thanks, I'll check the site out. I'm not really a "hiker", per se, but I do love wandering around on foot. I've just ordered a guidebook - Walking Palestine - in anticipation of my return trip in November. I'm really looking forward to exploring the area more fully and slowly than I was able to on my first trip.

Thanks, I'll check the site out. I'm not really a "hiker", per se, but I do love wandering around on foot. I've just ordered a guidebook - Walking Palestine - in anticipation of my return trip in November. I'm really looking forward to exploring the area more fully and slowly than I was able to on my first trip.

We will be there in November too! We are there for 4 weeks - Jerusalem, Ein Gedi, Eilat, Mitzpe Ramon, Zikhron Ya'akov. Do we overlap anywhere?

Thanks for that link. That is an interesting book. Israel by Foot (the Hike Israel website) has a hike in Wadi Kelt and we did it last November (Wadi Kelt is mentioned in the description of that book). That is in Area C of the West Bank, so easily accessible from Jerusalem. The description of the book also mentions hikes in Battir, an area I think in Area A outside of Bethlehem. We have hiked in this area, but not on the West Bank side. Battir is an UNESCO site and is supposed to be fabulous.

In March we did a hike on the outskirts of Nazareth. I know you stayed in Nazareth on your last trip. I thought of you when we were there. We hiked to a hill just west of Mount Tabor and had a beautiful view of Mount Tabor.

We actually just stopped in Nazareth for lunch and a visit to the Church of the Annunciation. We stayed in Bethlehem and then East Jerusalem, with one night in between at the monastery on the Mount of Beatitudes. It was a group trip that included a lot more religious sites than I would normally visit on my own. (I know, you might think that I'd be very drawn to such places, being a minister and all, but I tend to feel the sacred through people and nature more than through buildings and artifacts. Not that I don't appreciate the historical aspect of the sites, but they don't often touch my soul.)

So, I'm excited to be going back on my own, with just a couple friends. We haven't booked anything yet though. Our tentative dates are approx the last 3 weeks of Nov...specific dates will depend on flight prices. We'll be ending our trip with a few days in Bethlehem to connect with Palestinian Christian friends, plus hoping to catch the annual Christmas tree lighting in Manger Square. A friend of mine was there last year and said it was the most fun he'd had in years! I want to spend a few days in Jerusalem, but otherwise things are still wide open. A daytrip to Petra is in my dreams. My two friends want to spend a night in a remote monastery, if our local friends can arrange it...I may join them, or spend a night on my own elsewhere.

Once my plans are firmed up, I'll see if we overlap. What fun it would be to meet up!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina