• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

I Want To Start Planning For 2020!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Some of you will probably think I'm a terrible person after reading this, but here goes: right now we're in Umbria, staying in an apartment we found through sheer luck. We love the apartment, the location and the people, and are ready to put down a deposit for next year (Aug/Sept/Oct). Our plans haven't jelled yet, but we have several ideas.

1. Our first thought is to return to Ireland in late July, 2020, then fly to Italy for our 3 month stay. I want to explore the area north of Galway and maybe even some of the islands, but we probably wouldn't stay more than 2 weeks.
  2. Also possible is a return visit to Scotland, because I'll never get enough bagpipes, kilts or incredible scenery. Our stay here would have to be a little later, in order to include the Royal Tattoo, but that's okay. Stopping in either Ireland or Scotland really helps with the jetlag!
  3. Possibility #3 is to arrive in Italy at the beginning of August, but leave for 10-14 days in mid-September to visit Croatia. We could extend our time in Italy because Croatia isn't a Schengen country, possibly spending our last week closer to Rome (Soriano nel Cimino, I'm thinking of you), or maybe take a TA cruise that departs on Nov 6.
There are a few sticking points. For option #3, returning via a TA cruise isn't really a great idea because next year is election year, and I think I'd prefer to be in the states and be able to vote in person - but that's something we can decide on later.

The REAL sticking point, and the reason you might think I'm a terrible person is that my daughter, age 50, divorced and now engaged (for 19+months) to a wonderful guy, is finally talking about getting married. And for some reason, she likes the date 10-10-2020, which, unluckily for me, falls on a Saturday. Obviously I want to be there when my daughter and her beau tie the knot, but I'm also pretty set on being in Italy for the raccolta - we pick olives every year with/for several friends, and obviously the timing just would not work.

I'm trying to think of a nice way to explain all this to her, but those of you who know me know that subtlety isn't my strong suit. If you just think I'm a horrible mother, okay, I get it, and I don't really need to hear it. What I'm really looking for is some way to explain all this to my daughter in a way that doesn't sound so selfish - even though I realize it is. Or to at least ask her to make her decision sooner rather than later.

So - how are YOUR plans for 2020 going? :rolleyes:

And for some reason, she likes the date 10-10-2020, which, unluckily for me, falls on a Saturday. Obviously I want to be there when my daughter and her beau tie the knot, but I'm also pretty set on being in Italy for the raccolta - we pick olives every year with/for several friends, and obviously the timing just would not work.

I'm trying to think of a nice way to explain all this to her, :rolleyes:

How about inviting all of them to hold the wedding in Italy? Am I completely out of line here? ;)

I guess I should have mentioned that I have mentioned just that - and I found the perfect villa with 8 ensuite bedrooms AND it's own chapel for less than €3000 per week.

A group of her friends just celebrated her birthday in Key West, but how willing or able they would be to fly to Italy is a whole other thing.

Our European trips have become very simple these last few years - three months in Brugge, Belgium in the spring/summer (used to be Paris); then another three months in Venice, Italy in the fall/winter. We love to simply live in these places. But next year, we will skip Venice :confused: because I need knee replacement surgery planned for mid-August after Mom's 90th birthday celebration.

Barb, if you are a bad mother add me to the list. We have just booked a cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo in September 2021 and when telling oldest daughter she said “did you remember that it’s my 50th birthday”? Um NO! Hadn’t even thought about it!

Barb, if you are a bad mother add me to the list. We have just booked a cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo in September 2021 and when telling oldest daughter she said “did you remember that it’s my 50th birthday”? Um NO! Hadn’t even thought about it!
MY mom certainly didn't make a fuss over my 50th birthday, and I didn't mind one bit.

Has your daughter attempted to find a venue for her reception on that date? Often, places are booked far in advance. You may get off the hook without trying.

I thought she was getting married this year! I would ask her to pick a later date so you can have your usual Italy trip. 11-12-2020 makes as much sense.

I would do Ireland or Scotland before. Going away in the middle of your Italy time might be more trouble than it is worth.

I booked our usual 3 weeks in Switzerland for next September but have nothing else booked. I want to see how we feel after our Israel trip in November to see if we want to do one longer trip there next year.

It seems that Croatia is close to joining Schengen, but Slovenia is objecting. One story says the European Commission would "give the go-ahead" in mid-October of this year; I don't know how soon membership would take effect.

@Pauline , when they got engaged in Feb 2018, I just assumed they'd get married this year, but it didn't happen. When she sprung that 10-10-2020 date on me I was too surprised to respond, and now time has passed...... When I spoke to her boyfriend, he told me he wanted his son to come to the wedding, and since the son is in college, perhaps that will help my cause.

Regarding Ireland/Scotland versus, Croatia, honestly, I'm leaning towards the former rather than the latter. I know Croatia is amazing, but as I've said before, I've just gotten lazier and planning isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. Plus the whole jetlag thing!

I am getting lazier about researching and planning too. Maybe @JustTravel has it right. Two places for longer visits. If I were to do this I would do Israel in the spring for two months and Switzerland in the late summer/fall, but not sure I could do two months. I would wear myself out on the hiking trails! Where we live now is still new to me and spending summers in Dorset feels like a vacation.

The good thing about going to Italy for 3 months is that it's enough time for lots of days of doing nothing, lots of time to read and watch movies - I guess I'm pretending we still live here, but so what? Just being here makes me happy, and that's the bottom line.

I love that you're still enjoying Dorset so much!

OK, all the gifts and cards have been sent (and received), and it's just the two of us here in Florida, so no last minute Christmas shopping or cooking for me. I am going to splurge with a hash brown casserole for Christmas morning, and I do plan to try a new brownie recipe for my birthday. BUT, all I'm really thinking about is next years vacation!

We're looking at a tour of northern Ireland - which include Northern Ireland as well. It's a small group tour, 8 days long. Art has really become enthusiastic about being a passenger for once in his life. We'll fly to Dublin from DC in August, spend 2 days/3 nights in Dublin before the tour, then one final night in Dublin and one really final night at a Dublin airport hotel.

I just found out we can fly directly from Dublin to FCO on Aer Lingus - yeah!

I got an incredible deal on a 76 day rental in Italy - under $900 with zero deductible!

In late Sept or early Oct I think we'll go to Florence for 3-4 nights. I thought about going to Modena to eat at Hosteria Giusti again, but it's just too far, We'll just have to find some amazing places in Florence. I know il Latini, and Cibreo and Mario's are always popular, but where else should we eat?

And I posted in the Italy forum asking where to stay in Florence - I need the perfect balance of cost/location/bang for buck.

At the end we'll fly home on Sunday, Nov 1 in order to be in the states for election day, Nov 3, 2020.

I'm ready to travel again! Happy Holidays to all and safe travels during this crazy time!

Last edited:
We had our Christmas meal on the Solstice! Steve had his once a year turkey, I had nut roast. I celebrated today by booking March in Israel, even though I said after the last trip that we would not go in 2020. Four weeks between Tel Aviv, Haifa, the Galilee, Jerusalem. I got a good airfare for premium economy seats. We've been deliberating about it for the last couple of weeks and it feels good to have decided.

Before that we have our two weeks in Tenerife (Canaries, Spain) for my birthday at the end of January/beginning of February. My big present to myself for making it to 65! Even though it is no longer the official retirement age, it still feels significant.

Switzerland for 3 weeks end of August to mid-September is booked and we will add on another week somewhere, plus the drive out and back.

That leaves us with one or two trips from May to July. I would like to go to Ireland or Scotland - by car. The Scilly Isles off Cornwall in the UK are on my list. And a hiking trip on the coast of Wales maybe. Two weeks in Italy would be nice, maybe later this year since it was so wet on our May trip. I am reading about hiking in Romania and Poland/Slovakia. We've never hiked in the Italian Dolomites.

It seems like such a short travel time from May to October for the places we usually go.

I've tried to give my daughter some space, tried to be understanding during a stressful period at work (she works at UPS and peak season is always stressful for her), and I've also told her I need to make some final decisions after the holidays are over. So here we are, past peak, past the holidays, and into 2020, and she's no closer to setting a wedding date than we was 6 months ago. Today I told her I knew she didn't want to talk about, but that she just wasn't ready to commit, and I was going ahead with our plans as outlined in previous emails to her. I even invited her to come to Ireland with to (to get married or not) and/or to visit us in Umbria (to get married or not), but she's just not ready.

I've made some reservations, but nothing that's non-refundable. Our return flight from Italy back to Florida will be booked with FF miles, so I need to start watching for the best itinerary and be ready to book - and once that's booked we're committed, because there's a $250 change fee. Here's how our 2020 itinerary is looking:

1. Aug 1, fly to DC for a visit with my son, DIL and granddaughters. Our oldest grandgirl will be off to college in the fall, so we definitely want to connect before she leaves.
  2. Aug 5 fly to Dublin - so far American Airlines DCA-PHL-DUB looks like the best option. Aer Lingus is direct from IAD to DUB, but it costs more and arrives in Dublin at 5:20 a.m.!!! Ugh! We'll spend 2 nights in Dublin before leaving on a
  3. 8 day small group tour of the northwest coast of Ireland and Northern Ireland. After the tour we'll spend two nights and one full extra day in Dublin before we
  4. Fly DUB-FCO in mid August and stay at 'our' apartment in Collepepe for 11 weeks
  5. Sometime in late Sept/early October I'd like to spend 3-4 nights in Florence
  6. We return our rental car to FCO on Nov 1, then we'll spend our last 3 nights in Rome before flying back to the states.
$641 is the airfare I'm seeing for the one-way flight from DC to Dublin, and I don't know whether this is a good price or not. It does include on checked bag - the economy fare of $581 does NOT include a checked bag.

The flight from Dublin to Rome doesn't look too expensive, but once again we have to book the right ticket in order to have checked bags.

The flight with FF miles from FCO to TPA is tricky because there are different routes with different mileage requirements every day. Today I saw a FCO-LGW-PHL-TPA flight for 22,500 miles and we'd arrive in Tampa at 10 p.m. I forget to look at the taxes on that one, but I'll bet they're a lot higher because we go through Gatwick. Or there was was a FCO-DFW-TPA flight that gets in an hour later - but with one less connection there's one less chance of something going wrong. Tomorrow's search will probably show different options.

I always jump the gun and make reservations too early, but now that we've decided, I'm ready to book!

Interesting quandaries. I'm trying to replicate your search with AA miles and wonder: are you sure about the connection at Gatwick, and that it doesn't include a change of London airports? And are you noting the total time of the trip, since many of the AA options include an overnight in the connecting city? On flights with a transatlantic segment on BA, the bulk of the monetary cost is what BA chooses to charge even on award tickets, rather than taxes. I see one with just a Gatwick connection to Tampa, but overnight, where the charge is $184.95 per person.

Leaving August 1 leaves her plenty of time to get married this year. Maybe she’ll even leave it until next year!

I booked everything for Israel in March, and paid large deposits on accommodations, before Christmas and now there are all these potential problems in the Middle East. An article said that Iran might attack Haifa, where we will be for a week and a half. There is a major industrial area, including gas plants I think, just north of the city. Hoping for de-escalation.

Can't plan anything just yet, as I'm on the waiting list for a redo of my original knee replacement, which is coming apart.
I'm hoping it'll be done by April, then we'll see...….
Doesn't stop me bookmarking Italian rental apartments though!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina