• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

In Praise of the TA app

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
I don't want this to be an advert for TA but honestly their app saved my life in both Geneva and Venice. I downloaded the app for each city which enabled me to use it offline. No data. As I walked about I would input the name of say a cafe and the app using just arrows would somehow get me to where I needed to go every time. It was unbelievable! Up stairs, over bridges, around corners etc and there I was back at my hotel or at some obscure cafe with a closed sign of course. I was even able to help out several lost souls who were using google maps.

2 stories. I ran into a young Italian family from about an hour north of Venice. It must have been a school holiday. They were going to a famous Venice bakery, Tonolo. I had not heard of it but decided to tag along. At one point, no one knew which way to go. I brought out my trusty phone with the app and in 2 secs we were there. The 12 year old in the group was most impressed.

Another time, I ran into a young woman who asked me if I knew where a certain hotel was located. It was nearby but she couldn't figure it out using her google map. I said I didn't know but was confident we would find it and using the arrows, we did very quickly. She was hesitant at first, but was reassured as her hotel came into view.

So I'm a convert especially for the geographically challenged. But all is not perfect. You need the name of a restaurant or hotel preferably the correct spelling. Sometimes a landmark will do but not always. It creates dependence. It was seriously wrong 1x. You don't have a larger context like you would with a map. Still there is something very comforting to key in your hotel(or if in an apartment) a nearby restaurant and feel confident you will find it. Especially at night on your own. Although it did take me down some rather dark and deserted calles.

I love Pocket Earth. Once you download the map for your city, you can use it off line. And you can put "pins" on addresses that you need. If you're really organized, it will also give you a route from one place to another. I'm not that organized.

Thanks Callie,
I'd love to try it but sadly they don't have a version for Android. Apparently the company consists of 2 guys and they've run into difficulty. Amazing what one can discover with a little nosing about.

Yes, you install the app then download a city. I've just downloaded Ulmon city maps to go to compare. I'll have both in Madrid but my try it out for my own ciy.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina