• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

iPhone dialing issues in Europe? Dial assist?

Cameron

500+ Posts
While I was in London, I tried to call a London phone number on my keypad. It was quite frustrating, as I tried with, and without, the country code since I was using my USA iPhone 10 Max.

Upon researching now that I'm back, I believe the issue may be with the "dial assist" feature, which I see I had turned on by default. It automatically determines the correct international or local prefix.

This takes me back to France last year, different iPhone (7plus). Any number in my contact list dialed correctly. Any number in France that I tried to dial on the keypad, didn't work.

I thought it was a Verizon issue, but now it seems it's an iPhone issue?

Has anyone else had this issue -- can't dial a number from the keypad for the country you're in, but if you have it in your Contacts List, it dials correctly?

Thanks!

Just to start with basics: Did your dialing include the plus sign before the country code, obtained by holding down on zero?

I have had the same problem in Spain. I did the same thing you did. I entered the number into my contacts and then had no problems.

Then, there’s something with the formatting in Contacts that dial assist interprets correctly, but from on the keypad. When I’m in France next month, I’ll turn off dial assist to see if that’s the real issue. Thanks!

I just had a similar issue with my Android phone in Italy. My husband and I bought SIMs and I updated the contact I have for him when in Europe with the new number. Attempting to call from the contact resulted in a message saying there was no service for the number. Calling from the recent call list (after he called me) worked fine. Disabling the dial assist feature enabled dialing from the contact to work properly.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina