• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Italy extended stay with young kids

Jtb212

In the planning stages of a ~1 month stay in Italy with our 3 year old and 4 month old. March 2023.

Looking for some feedback/suggestions on our approach.

Our main goal is to spend 2-3 weeks in one place to relax, get immersed in the culture, and do some day trips.

We are traveling from NYC area and a direct flight is a priority with the kids.

Loose itinerary:

-Fly into Rome - spend ~3 nights to explore city

-Drive to Tuscany region and spend our 2-3 weeks at a rental home.
-Drive to Venice, stay a few nights - fly home.

I found a rental near Anghiari that seems to have a lot of what we are looking for in a house (ambiance, amenities, etc), but seems to be on the ‘outskirts’ of Tuscany. Any thoughts on this area for our situation, or suggestions for other places to look for a rental home?

Does a day trip into Florence seem feasible from Tuscany countryside (wherever we choose to stay)? Or recommend adding a night or two in Florence?

Is there anything that should be added or cut or would be considered can’t miss?

Any other tips and tricks for traveling with young kids in Italy is also appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I would second Braindoc's recommendation, picking up a car as you leave Venice and dropping it off when you head to Rome.
Anghiari is in a great location right in the triangle where Tuscany, Umbria and Marche meet. That whole area has many lovely towns where tourists don't drive the economy and people are living their regular lives.
I would only suggest that for 2-3 weeks, you may want to look at something just a little larger with more young families to find playmates for your three year old. Maybe Sansepolcroin Tuscany, Cita di Castello in Umbria or Urbino in Marche.

We traveled with our two sons from infancy through high school on one month trips (usually 3 weeks in Italy near Lucca and a week somewhere else in Europe). For the little one's sake, you might consider limiting yourself to two stops, not three. Rome is noisy and chaotic and not that easy to get around in with a stroller or with a baby in arms, so an evaluation of what is critical to your "to do" list versus little legs keeping up would be good. Venice is not my favorite place to visit, so that would be my personal choice to save for another trip. March in Italy can also be raw and cold, so another thing to consider. We have my wife's family home to use as a base when in Italy, so had a comfortable lodging and could do our limited day trips from there.

We learned the hard way by trying to do a driving itinerary when our older son was three and younger one was still in utero -- my older son went berserk being put into a car seat day after day and that was the end of our ambitious itineraries.

Not sure your older son would be engaged, but we used scavenger hunts as our entertainment -- whether out and about or in museums, etc., would have a simple list of things (woman in red dress, dog, yellow car, etc.) and have a little reward when the list was done. The Pinocchio Park in Collodi was a simple and fun outing if in that area. Caves and water outings (but probably not in March) were always exciting things for our kids. Our home is near Lucca, so putting the kids in a kid seat on a bicycle and going around the walls of Lucca was good too.....and nerve-wracking when they got old enough to go out on their own.

Our sons are now 32 and 29 and just came back this year after a limited number of visits during their hiatus due to college and starts of careers -- it was truly kind of amazing how much they remembered from all their earlier trips and how interested they were in seeing Italy as adults. Our older son brought his new wife with him for her first visit to Tuscany and was thrilled to be her tour guide......so, moral of the story is that the world really isn't coming to an end when young kids melt down (or you do) when traveling ;-) Biggest suggestion would be to keep the plans simple; the outings short; and food always at hand (they never did get used to late dinner times).

Last edited:
In the planning stages of a ~1 month stay in Italy with our 3 year old and 4 month old. March 2023.

Looking for some feedback/suggestions on our approach.

Our main goal is to spend 2-3 weeks in one place to relax, get immersed in the culture, and do some day trips.

We are traveling from NYC area and a direct flight is a priority with the kids.

Loose itinerary:

-Fly into Rome - spend ~3 nights to explore city

-Drive to Tuscany region and spend our 2-3 weeks at a rental home.
-Drive to Venice, stay a few nights - fly home.

I found a rental near Anghiari that seems to have a lot of what we are looking for in a house (ambiance, amenities, etc), but seems to be on the ‘outskirts’ of Tuscany. Any thoughts on this area for our situation, or suggestions for other places to look for a rental home?

Does a day trip into Florence seem feasible from Tuscany countryside (wherever we choose to stay)? Or recommend adding a night or two in Florence?

Is there anything that should be added or cut or would be considered can’t miss?

Any other tips and tricks for traveling with young kids in Italy is also appreciated.

Thank you!
Hi! I love your itinerary! Have done similar with 4 kids. Absolutely the best way to get to know Italy is staying in one spot for a good length of time. Tip - a one month stay can get you a good discount, but you may not have the time available, I get that. We chose the town of Spello in Umbria for our one month stay, on two occaisions, as it ticks many of the boxes for us. You can get there by train, you can walk all over town, it's a gorgeous hill town, it is close to other great places like Assisi and perugia, it is incredibly beautiful! Being in Spello we did day trips, though caar rental was waaaaaay cheaper back a few years ago. There is quite a bit to see and do around town, if you want to enjoy the slow pace of life, like a walk, stop for coffee and cake.... a bit more of a walk, pick up some groceries for lunch.... a stop at the playground, maybe it's market day (Wednesday), maybe you meet someone and chat (happens often). The days just seemed to have their own life, even when we didn't plan much. at the time we first went, our kids were 4,8, 10 and 12. I love Rome and I would absolutely go for 3 nights or more. We did 6 nights as I didn't want to rush things and just take the days slowly. Rome is hectic but it's also amazing and worth it. If you know you are getting out to the country straight after, it'll be fine. <3 Never been to venice as it always feels way to touristy for me, but totally your call. We picked up and dropped off our car in Perugia, then used trains to get around. Easy, and low stress. Happy to chat more if you want to pm me. Travel with kids is awesome.

Wow! You got some great info from all the posters above. My wife and I have no kids so our recommendations would be no help at all! :D

Remembered that one of the kid attractions was the changing of the guard at the Quirinale Palace -- brass band and lots of marching about. They have different military elements represented at the ceremonies, so can vary from day to day exactly what you'll see.

Also, something as simple as the Spanish Steps in the evening can be fun -- lots of vendors out there on the piazza sending lighted items up into the nighttime air (that never work for the tourist buyers the way they do for the vendors -- but that's fun too watching the proud new owners of the toys trying to launch them).

Will also throw in the suggestion to see what local festivals might be active. All will have some type of entertainment and food. Some will have a carnival-like atmosphere with little rides and games for kids. The ones in this link are the bigger ones, but Italy is full of small festivals. https://www.tripsavvy.com/march-festivals-and-events-in-italy-4584326

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina