• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Itinerary 17 Days in France

Fischman

10+ Posts
Family of three: 2 parents and one 19 year old.
17 days in May. Planned itinerary looks like this (flying into and out of Paris):
3 nights Paris
2 nights Sarlat la Caneda
2 nights Carcassonne
Overnight ferry to Corsica
3 nights Corsica
Overnight ferry to Italy and drive to Annecy
2 nights annecy
Now here's the rub: need one more stop between Annecy and our flight out of Paris. Was really looking forward to spending a couple days in Colmar, but we've got a morning flight out of Paris and it's too far of a drive.
So what would anyone suggest for a good stop closer to Paris and on the way from Annecy? Would prefer to not duplicate experiences from earlier in the itinerary. Trying local cuisine is a big plus, but we're not into wine, so the vineyard scene is not a draw for us.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions for a good stop and things to do in the area!

Update:
Have decided to take a more leisurely pace. Will save Corsica for another trip (hopefully in 2020) and drop Carcassonne altogether.

So, with the extra time, we can get another day each in Paris, Sarlat, and Annecy and still have 4 days left over. First thought was swing north for 2 nights in Colmar (high on my wish list as I'm fascinated to see a part of France with Germanic influence) and two nights in Reims to put us close to Paris for our flight out.

The other option after Annecy is take a more direct route back to Paris. Dijon looks quintessentially French and Sens looks appealing also. Any ideas on these options?

I am pleased you have cut out some places as it was far too rushed. As it is, 3 nights in Sarlat is not much. How are you getting from Paris to Sarlat? It is a long drive , as is the drive from Sarlat to Lyon. It will take the day on autoroutes which are sometimes not the most scenic.
Adding an extra day to each gives
Paris 4 nights
Sarlat 3 nights
Annecy 3 nights
That still leaves 7 nights . Perhaps you can come back and tell us your revised itinerary.
Just make sure you have time on your final day to fill up the car, drop it off and allow the time needed to check in.

What I'm looking at now:
4 nights Paris
4 nights Sarlat
4 nights Annecy
2 nights either Dijon or Colmor
2 nights either Sens or Reims
16 nights total.

For the most part, we're not predisposed to spend a long time in one place. My wife might want to spend more time in Paris, but I'd be happy to skip Paris, so 4 days is a nice compromise.

We know the Paris to Sarlat day and the Sarlat to Annecy will be long days in the car. We live and travel extensively in the American West, so we're used to covering long distances to get from point A to point B.

Here's a question. Is Versailles an absolute must? If so, should we just go out there one morning during our 4 days in Paris or can we make it a stop on the way to Sarlat?

We are from Australia and used to driving long distances as well. However we find it very different in France. The autoroutes are good for getting from A to B quickly but are often not scenic, can be busy and the tolls can add up. So we only use them when necessary as we much prefer the lesser roads so we can really see France. But , of course, they are slower. We find it always takes longer than we expect . We are also slower travellers and stay one or two weeks in one place.
Versailles is only a must if you really want to see it. We have not been but have visited Vaux le Vicomte and Fontainebleau from our base in northern Burgundy. We spent a week in Paris and did not leave the city. Depending on the time of year you visit, I have read Versailles can be very busy to the point of being unpleasant with crowds. With the short time you have I would not go, but if it is important to you then you can decide. I do not think you can visit on your way to Sarlat. It is a major attraction and deserves at least a half day and better, a full day. What a lot of people forget is that 4 nights in a place gives 3 full days with a part day, not 4 full days.
https://www.viamichelin.com/ This will give fairly realistic times, tolls on autoroutes, scenic routes and significant sites. There is no allowance for stops or delays.
I am sure you will enjoy whatever places you choose .
Bon voyage.

More good inputs--thanks!
I agree, backroads are the way to go. We definitely liked meandering on the backroads in Germany more than blazing down the autobahn. We will definitely consider the Paris to Sarlat day a meandering day and not hard schedule any time consuming stops.

Versailles just seems like a thing to do because of its superlatives; it's just the biggest, grandest, most over-the-top, insanely ostentatious of all the chateaus. Well be there in May well before the high season and I understand you can beat the crowds by purchasing advance tickets on line and getting in in the first wave. That said, after seeing Neuschwanstein and Linderhof, we do kinda' feel like we've had enough over-the-top and are more interested in immersing ourselves in current culture. I may drop Versailles if it looks like we can really fill four days in the city (we will get that since our flight arrives early morning on the first day--although my wife usually loses a day to jet lag).

Slow down! Is this your family's first trip to France? That also makes a difference.

I live in the American West also, used to long distance driving, and have traveled extensively in France. Frankly your itinerary gives me the heebeegeebees. I look at it and feel exhausted. I think you're "covering" too much. Granted, most of us in these forums are slow travelers and enjoy "being" places, not just getting there. So take all of this with a grain of salt, knowing you have asked a group called "SlowEurope".

As you make your way from town to town, village to village you will find it impossible to take it all in. 4 days in Paris, including your arrival day and your departure day leaves you with barely 48-60 hrs. 48 hrs where you are recovering from jet lag. If it's your first trip you will want to walk everywhere and "see it all". This is not enough time. 4 days including arriving and departing Sarlat is not enough time to do Sarlat and the surrounding areas justice. Your distances, combined with the overall time frame of 16 nights seems overly optimistic, a lot like a "See France in 16 days" itinerary. Take it slower, see less but experience more. You will not regret it.

I can't imagine only your wife is affected by jet lag. The time difference and lack of good sleep on the plane is enough to fatigue anyone.

On a side note, Versailles is only a "must" if one of you would come home depressed that you hadn't been there. It is always crowded and tours have you pushing through at an uncomfortable pace. Skip it if no one sees this as a "bucket list" item. If you just want to see the grounds and gardens, that is easier. Keep in mind the busiest days and how/when you'll arrive.

What is the 19 year old in to? Ask this person to plan part of the itinerary or to give serious input. That may affect where you end up and what you visit.

Laura

Slow down! Is this your family's first trip to France? That also makes a difference.

I live in the American West also, used to long distance driving, and have traveled extensively in France. Frankly your itinerary gives me the heebeegeebees. I look at it and feel exhausted. I think you're "covering" too much. Granted, most of us in these forums are slow travelers and enjoy "being" places, not just getting there. So take all of this with a grain of salt, knowing you have asked a group called "SlowEurope".

As you make your way from town to town, village to village you will find it impossible to take it all in. 4 days in Paris, including your arrival day and your departure day leaves you with barely 48-60 hrs. 48 hrs where you are recovering from jet lag. If it's your first trip you will want to walk everywhere and "see it all". This is not enough time. 4 days including arriving and departing Sarlat is not enough time to do Sarlat and the surrounding areas justice. Your distances, combined with the overall time frame of 16 nights seems overly optimistic, a lot like a "See France in 16 days" itinerary. Take it slower, see less but experience more. You will not regret it.

I can't imagine only your wife is affected by jet lag. The time difference and lack of good sleep on the plane is enough to fatigue anyone.

On a side note, Versailles is only a "must" if one of you would come home depressed that you hadn't been there. It is always crowded and tours have you pushing through at an uncomfortable pace. Skip it if no one sees this as a "bucket list" item. If you just want to see the grounds and gardens, that is easier. Keep in mind the busiest days and how/when you'll arrive.

What is the 19 year old in to? Ask this person to plan part of the itinerary or to give serious input. That may affect where you end up and what you visit.

Laura

Laura,
Thanks for your reply.

We have decided to drop Versailles. Nobody’s going to miss it.

I can confirm that I do not suffer from jet lag. With trips both directions (Germany and Japan), I have had zero difficulty. I hit the ground running and immediately adapt to the new schedule. I even fall into a normal sleep pattern per the new clock, right on the first night. But, as previously noted, my wife will struggle. How my son will react is yet to be seen, but he’s young and easily stoked, so I don’t think he’ll be a limiting factor.

Despite the distance covered, there is an element of “see less, experience more” at play here. We tend to pick our three or four top items for a location and then move on to the next. If we stay in one place too long, we get bored, even if there’s more to do there. So we really focus on a few things, we don’t rush them, and then we go somewhere else. Think of it this way—from Sarlat, there’s a dozen or more excellent Châteaus within easy reach. But we don’t need or want to see a dozen Châteaus. So we pick what we think will be the best one (maybe two) and we’re satisfied with that. Do that for a couple other types of sights and we’ve had our fill. Quite frankly, based on our Germany trip, we feel like we’ve seen enough cathedrals to last a lifetime.

This is how we did a week in Germany last year. Three main bases but not too many sights at each base. It worked perfectly for us, even my wife, who prefers leisurely pace. As wonderful as Fussen was, after three days, she was ready to move on to Rothenburg.

Upping Paris to four days is already a huge compromise for me as I don’t care much for any large city. I could see adding time to Sarlat. And we’re not going to France without a stop in the Alps! I’m confident we can enjoy that now that we’ve dropped both Carcassonne and Corsica from the itinerary.

To answer your last question,when we travel in May, my son will have completed his freshman year at college which includes a minor in French. He did four years of French, and French Club in high school. He just wants to get exposure to French language and culture. I have tried to engage him in the planning, but he’s just so happy to be going to France, he really doesn’t care what specifically we do while we’re there. He just got home fo Christmas break, so I’ll reengage with him on this.

I have to agree about jet lag. Coming from Australia we spend 20+ hours on a plane and we usually arrive in the morning , often early. That first day is useless really so we do not count it. We obviously have different travel styles as we enjoy spending time in each area we visit. But you know what you like so that is fine. We spent two weeks in the Dordogne in 2014 and visited one chateau. If you scroll through to the relevant section you can see what we did. We did not visit any caves this time as we had been before.
https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/spring-in-country-france-2014.1804/
As chachalaca said , this is sloweurope !! and France really does lend itself to slow travel. We like having time for the unplanned and unexpected.
I hope you and your family has a great trip and your son gets to use his French.

I have to agree about jet lag. Coming from Australia we spend 20+ hours on a plane and we usually arrive in the morning , often early. That first day is useless really so we do not count it. We obviously have different travel styles as we enjoy spending time in each area we visit. But you know what you like so that is fine. We spent two weeks in the Dordogne in 2014 and visited one chateau. If you scroll through to the relevant section you can see what we did. We did not visit any caves this time as we had been before.
https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/spring-in-country-france-2014.1804/
As chachalaca said , this is sloweurope !! and France really does lend itself to slow travel. We like having time for the unplanned and unexpected.
I hope you and your family has a great trip and your son gets to use his French.
Thanks for the link. I'll study it.

And I agree about leaving room for the unexpected. A couple of our favorite experiences in Germany were things we stumbled upon sopontaneously, not in the itinerary.

Did you have a specific reason for choosing Dijon? I would recommend Beaune, which is nearby, but I think more charming. You said you don't like cities, and Dijon is definitely more of a city than Beaune. Here is a blog entry my son wrote from Beaune a few years ago; he was very captivated by the town.
Divine Lights and Vine Delights

Are you into wine at all? Beaune is one of the wine capitals of France, but it has other attractions as well. The most famous is probably the Hospices.

I have another suggested stop for you, not far from Sens: Guedelon. This is one of the most fascinating places we have visited in France. It is an ongoing project to build a medieval castle using only the materials and techniques of the 13th century. This is a photo album from our visit there in 2010. Of course, it would be much farther along if you visit next year -- probably almost finished.

Did you have a specific reason for choosing Dijon? I would recommend Beaune, which is nearby, but I think more charming. You said you don't like cities, and Dijon is definitely more of a city than Beaune. Here is a blog entry my son wrote from Beaune a few years ago; he was very captivated by the town.
Divine Lights and Vine Delights

Are you into wine at all? Beaune is one of the wine capitals of France, but it has other attractions as well. The most famous is probably the Hospices.

Roz,
Thanks for your insight and (the link with the very clever title!).
The main reason I shied away from Beaune is it seemed to revolve around wine, something that holds no interest for us (no moral compunctions, just not something we enjoy). That, and the pictures of Dijon looked charming (especially the old town).

Also thinking about Troyes at this point.

Thanks to all for all the helpful inputs.

Further culling of the agenda has freed up a few days on the itinerary.

So....

It looks like there's tons to do between Paris and Sarlat, so rather than busting straight through in a day, What would make a good two day stop inbetween? Chateauroux? Maybe some smaller destination in the countryside?

Between Paris and Sarlat, what about somewhere in the Loire Valley? We really enjoyed Amboise several years ago. The chateau there and the former home of Leonardo (Clos de Lucé) are both worth a visit. Also, if your plans would have you there on a weekend, Amboise has one of the best markets in France. We stayed here: Le Clos d'Amboise, which was a lovely B&B.

I was also going to suggest the Loire Valley. Of course there are chateaux , but there are also some interesting towns and villages. Amboise has been mentioned, but Loches and Chinon are also very nice. There are also some troglodyte villages.
If that does not appeal, you could look at going further on the first day and stopping at Oradour sur Glane. If you have not heard of this, a quick google will tell you about this unusual reminder of the brutality and futility of war. It would then be a nice run into Sarlat.
If you wanted to break your journey from Sarlat to Annecy, you could consider travelling via Salers with a stop to climb Puy Mary , or stop at Le Puy en Velay which is an interesting town as well.
France is such a diverse country and we find it really interesting as you travel from region to region to notice the differences in the country , the architecture, and even the style of houses from the golden stone of the Dorsogne to the dark grey stone of the Auvergne for example.
You will get good food all over France and it is worth doing some research into the specialities of regions.
Bon voyage.

I was also going to suggest the Loire Valley. Of course there are chateaux , but there are also some interesting towns and villages. Amboise has been mentioned, but Loches and Chinon are also very nice. There are also some troglodyte villages.
If that does not appeal, you could look at going further on the first day and stopping at Oradour sur Glane. If you have not heard of this, a quick google will tell you about this unusual reminder of the brutality and futility of war. It would then be a nice run into Sarlat.
If you wanted to break your journey from Sarlat to Annecy, you could consider travelling via Salers with a stop to climb Puy Mary , or stop at Le Puy en Velay which is an interesting town as well.
France is such a diverse country and we find it really interesting as you travel from region to region to notice the differences in the country , the architecture, and even the style of houses from the golden stone of the Dorsogne to the dark grey stone of the Auvergne for example.
You will get good food all over France and it is worth doing some research into the specialities of regions.
Bon voyage.
Yes, we've cleared out time for few days en route. Ambiose and Loches look wonderful. But I like the idea of spending those days in a smaller village and it looks like Montresor makes for both a beautiful little village and a great midway point.

I have been studying up on cuisine. It's probably the thing I'm most looking forward to, so knowing there is diversity along the way and local specialties to look for is most welcome. Thanks.

Ken B. your photos are lovely! It's good to see you here. You reminded me of your blog, which always gives me a bit of envy and a ton of enjoyment! Merry Christmas!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina