• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

July - one week or so - suggestions?

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Usually we have traveled together but my husband’s health now prevents that and our daughter says he can come visit her for a week [or so] while I go off and explore == I love exploring places of some historical context = and we’ve been to many areas in France and Italy especially [years ago I was fortunate to spend a month in Venice, which I loved]. I’m now trying to think of a place that I could travel to solo but safely and explore a bit. Figured this group would have inspired ideas. Plenty of time to plan, just would like to do something moderately unique. Thanks in advance

I'd be tempted to find somewhere that had a decent amount of organised day / half day trips available to help adjust mentally to travelling solo, which can feel lonely if more used to having company. Such day trips may result in meeting interesting people, who you might want to meet up with for a meal or coffee on a later day, or who you might appreciate bumping into by accident.

Bologna was well set up for this IIRC, with plenty to see and do, and a good tourist office in Piazza Nettuno. In addition the very good food shops between Piazza Nettuno and Le due torri (and up via Oberdan, and indeed elsewhere in the city), allow for some wonderful pre-prepared food to eat back at an apartment (or as a picnic). Those same shops may also offer up some interesting stuff to take home, if only in the form of balsamic vinegar. The porticoed streets help protect from extremes of weather.

That's a good idea - tho I've been to Bologna [only briefly tho] but the concept is solid. Thanks.

July can be uncomfortably hot in the big cities of the north of Italy....
Good point - I'd missed the timing, and I fully agree that it can be stupidly hot, with some places closing.

In light of the month, I'll offer up another option that's logistically a bit messy to get to, but might really lend itself to a solo traveller... Isole Eolie / Aeolian Islands off Sicily. They're a pleasingly diverse set of islands, which makes day-tripping by the regular ferries an easy way to explore. Yes it will be hot, but constantly being near the sea will give a cooling breeze.

There's also a night trip to / from Stromboli for some natural fireworks, plus the rustic mud baths on Vulcano. Lipari and Salina are the bigger places, but something like Panarea might be ideal if natural beauty is a priority.

Whilst the ferries are cheap and easy, the logistics of getting there is a bit of a faff. We flew into Catania and then took a taxi to the ferry port at Milazzo, but Palermo is an option that's slightly more direct, but with a longer ferry ride. Whichever way, it does feel a little odd carrying luggage onto a ferry.

Local food is very good, but anything that has to be shipped in tends to cost more.

Can I throw in a completely different idea
• Channel Islands, basing yourself on either Jersey or Gurnsey. (Ferry or fly from UK.) They both have an excellent bus service. Guernsey has the advantage of having of sailiung sailings to both Herm and Sark.
• Scilly Islands (Ferry or Fly from Cornwall) They form a compact group of islands with interferry connections from Hugh Town on St Mary's to the other largest islands. They are all small enough to be explored on foot. They tend to be visited as day trips and are still very much off the tourist radar.

I live in Italy but I was finding it difficult to think of anywhere to suggest I'd want to visit in Italy in July and August because of the heat in the cities and crowds on the coast. Eleanor's idea is fascinating. I'd be tempted!

Can I throw in a completely different idea
• Channel Islands, basing yourself on either Jersey or Gurnsey. (Ferry or fly from UK.) They both have an excellent bus service. Guernsey has the advantage of having of sailiung sailings to both Herm and Sark.
• Scilly Islands (Ferry or Fly from Cornwall) They form a compact group of islands with interferry connections from Hugh Town on St Mary's to the other largest islands. They are all small enough to be explored on foot. They tend to be visited as day trips and are still very much off the tourist radar.
We visited Cornwall and the Scilly Isles last year with Kathy Wood, and loved it!

Yes lovely peaceful place The Isles of Scilly but accommodation does get booked up well in advance especially for the busy school holiday times.
I know Devon and Cornwall very well and continue to visit both areas on my own since my husband died and by public transport.
It can be hard travelling alone but I have just come back from a successful solo trip to Amsterdam.
I don’t like the thought of being part of a tour group and certainly on an art break I couldn’t keep up with the whizz bang itineraries !
For example when I’m visiting a gallery I’ll spend all morning or afternoon in the same one with a good rest between each visit.
I’m proud to think of myself as a Slow Traveller still Pauline !
The Channel Islands make for a very pleasant visit but I’ve not visited at a busy time of year.
( Favourite hotel The Atlantic by the way, just outside St Helier on the island of Jersey.) www.theatlantichotel.com
Happy to answer any accommodation questions !

Last edited:
For a solo trip rich in history and culture, consider exploring Greece's Athens and the Peloponnese, where you can visit ancient landmarks like the Acropolis and Mycenae.

This is all GREAT info = a girlfriend of mine has a week too and suggested we [even at this late date] find a cruise and just relax, so we're exploring that= but all of the above ideas are great for planning a little longer time away which I hope might happen next year, health depending. Again, many thanks = I was, candidly, not too eager to be driving around Europe solo after doing it for 30+ years with my husband [I did the driving] so the cruise idea allows me to avoid that.

Just reporting back - we are going on a cruise on not so large a ship and visiting places in the Adriatic. This is probably a good option for both of us. Again, many thanks for everyone's ideas.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina