• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

LCY Aiport

Joe Baumann

10+ Posts
Has anyone ever flown out of London City Aiport? Is it any easier or more difficult to get to than Heathrow or Gatwick?

I will be visiting London (my first time in London) in March and then will head to Italy. Ideally I would like to fly into Florence but the only flight is BA leaving from London City Airport. As I will be heading to Rome afterwards which is also where I am flying home from, I would like to avoid any backtracking (i.e, flying into Rome, training to Florence, then training back to Rome).

We haven't yet flown from LCY, though we plan to, since it's only just over 3 miles from our new home! (As the crow flies: it's about 5 miles by road) It's certainly much closer to most parts of London than is Heathrow (and much much closer than Gatwick); if you're using public transport, then it's 22 minutes from Bank (in the City of London) to LCY on the DLR: more info here. Friends who have used the airport were very happy: it's all on a much smaller scale than the other London airports, so much easier to navigate, and quicker checkin times.

Yes, I have, and I second Jonathan's general enthusiasm - it's geared to the business market, and remains small and quick to pass through. As to its convenience to reach, that depends where you're starting from - changing to the DLR at Bank will involve a fair number of steps and corridors.

(Glad to see your visit to the area helped you make your mind up, Jonathan!)

Thank you Jonathan and Patrick. I will be staying near Hyde Park, so it seems there will be a few platform changes to get there.

Whereabouts near Hyde Park? It might be quicker, and maximise the possibility of lift and escalator interchanges, to take the Jubilee Line to Canning Town and change there f0r the DLR to LCY.

Also worth bearing in mind that Hyde Park is close to Paddington, with it's fast direct train service to Heathrow.

Thus it is probably faster via public transport to get from Heathrow to Hyde Park than London city to Hyde Park... however adding in the delays you'll likely hit at Heathrow, including the often pathetically slow process of going through non-EU immigration, then the overall landing to checking in time may well still be faster via LCY. In addition smaller airports are invariably far more pleasant than the behemoth airports.

I'm staying near Bayswater & Queensway tube stops. I actually found a route that requires only 1 change from the tube to the DLR at Bank.

Hi Joe
Worth noting Patrick's comment about the (very) long walk within Bank, quite the trudge if you are tired after the flight.
Regards
Ian

Yes, Bank would be the problem - about two dozen steps and and two dozen down from the Central Line before you get on to the escalators down to the DLR (and if they're working on the escalators, the remaining one will be up only, which would add another three dozen or so steep steps down).

You could change from the Central to the Jubilee (for Canning Town) at Bond St, which would allow far more in the way of escalator interchanges (but still some steps at Bond St, I think, as well as at Queensway), but it's still a long haul from one side of London to the other.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all this help. Maybe I will splurge for a taxi.

Ian, at that point I will already have been in London for 6 days so there won't be any issues with jet lag. I will be arriving at Gatwick and training to Victoria Station and from there I will take a taxi to my accommodation.

Hi Joe
Oops - I'd missed this was the flight out, rather than the arrival journey. FWIW I'd be more willing to put up with Bank when feeling rested. It's not cramped/uncomfortable... just loooong.

On the subject of Taxis, Uber have been operating under 'private hire' rules, but their (London) licence is being revoked from 30th September. This may result in a period of high demand (vs. supply) whilst the industry re-aligns itself. I doubt it will take long, with many moving/returning to traditional private hire companies.

Regards
Ian

Traditionally BA uses Pisa airport (with flights from Heathrow) for Florence. Also I see Vueling from Luton airport to Florence.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina