• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lenk (Bernese Oberland) in September

Pauline

Forums Admin
I posted the "what is your favorite town" question on this forum months ago and keep struggling to determine my answer. We have spent many weeks hiking in Switzerland in the last 20+ years - Engelberg, Grindelwald, Kandersteg, Gstaad, Saanen, Lenk, Leysin, Crans Montana, Zermatt, Davos, Locarno. The area that we like best for hiking is Gstaad - Saanen, but I don't like the town of Gstaad. It is too jetsetty. I like Saanen but it is tiny.

We are now planning a 2 - 3 week trip to Switzerland in September. The last time we were there was 2009 but we did not have a great trip because we had been in England the month before and that was the year of the Swine flu epidemic and we both caught it on the plane to Geneva (yes!!! someone sneezing nonstop a few rows behind us), so spent 2 weeks in Nendaz (Valais) and a week in Grindelwald mostly sick (really sick, first Steve, then me). So - we are owed a trip to Switzerland!

We want to return to the Gstaad area, but I don't want to stay in Gstaad (we spent 2 weeks there in 2007). I have been searching the Interhome listings and have come up with a plan - 2 weeks in Lenk! We spent 3 nights there many years ago and always planned to return. It is 34 mins by car to Gstaad, so we can easily go there to hike. Much of the hiking we liked in the Gstaad area is in between Gstaad and Lenk. Plus Lenk has a good selection of summer mountain rides and trails.

The current plan is to spend the first two weeks of September in Lenk, then a week somewhere else. Interhome is the best resource for vacation rentals in Switzerland, or go to the local tourist website and book through them. There are listings on the HomeAway websites, but most of them are from Interhome. I found a few interesting listings on AirBnb.

Switzerland is expensive these days, but now that they have linked the Swiss Franc with the Euro (more or less), it is not as bad as last year. Vacation rentals were inexpensive in Switzerland when we traveled there before, but now they are not as cheap. The good things is that there is usually good availability in the summer and the winter skiing season is the high season. Many people go in the summer for hiking, but more go in the winter. The summer season is short. In the high areas July - September is best, and things are starting to close at the end of September.

Photo from 2007, hiking in the Gstaad-Saanen-Lenk area.

gstaad-5076.jpg

Last edited:
I booked an apartment in a chalet in Lenk for the first two weeks of September (through Interhome) and have booked our flights (BA out of Heathrow to Geneva). Our third week is going to be in the French Alps south of Lake Geneva - the Samoens area (current plan). It looks like they have good hiking trails. We have only been to Chamonix in the French Alps and this is north of there. We can do a day trip to Lake Annecy. And it is a short drive to Geneva airport for flying home.

I had thought to be more adventurous for that last week - maybe fly to Corsica or drive to southern France - but we decided for an easier trip. Hiking and looking at the view - that is what this trip will be. Plus fresh mountain air. :dork:

I booked our arrival night in Lausanne, a 1.5 hour drive from the airport. The next day we drive to Lenk.

I ordered two Cicerone walking guides for the French Alps (Walking in the Haute Savoie: North and South), the Michelin Guide for the French Alps and a the Michelin map of the Haute Savoie. This should help me figure out the best place to stay in that area.

I have been looking on Homeaway for a vacation rental for the week and some of the reviews are by people who went in the summer for the walking/hiking. I need to figure out if the mountain rides (we would use them to get to hiking areas) are open until the end of September.

Perhaps back to the drawing board for the 3rd week of this trip. I had decided on Samoens in France, south of Lake Geneva, north of Chamonix, but the summer mountain rides stop running at the end of August and one of the big resorts there closes the first week of September. This means the area shuts down early after summer. In Lenk and Gstaad area, where we are spending the first two weeks, the mountain rides are open until mid-October.

Maybe that last week on Lake Annecy? I am looking at that now.

We leave in less than two weeks! We decided on a week in Samoens after all. Annecy felt like too busy and large of a city for us on this trip.

We will have to bring all our hiking gear - boots, backpacks, poles, etc. And clothes for colder weather.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina