• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lisbon, Portugal - Day Trips Ideas

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
Hi there, I am planning a trip to Lisbon, Portugal this November. Lisbon looks to be a fascinating city to visit. I'll have 3 weeks there and I want to do day trips to nearby towns. I'm depending on public transportation. My interests are really varied, history, photography, people/culture. I enjoy usual touristy attractions as well as unique ones. For example, I found this tile museum in the Alfama District that I want to see. Things like that are cool.

I have done some research and find the following day trips to be interesting choices so far: Sintra, Obidos, Cascias, Cabo da Roca, Evora and possibly an overnight trip to Porto. Do you think these are good choices so far? Others like Setubol, Tomar ae also on my radar. I don't want to over pack my itinerary and will need to narrow the field a bit so I'm not doing too much.

As usual I want to see everything but I know that is impossible so I'm trying to find the most interesting quick day trips to nearby towns that would best compliment my Lisbon experience. I think just Lisbon alone is full of so many things I want to see and experience. If there are any city suggestions or thoughts on things I should not miss in Lisbon itself, I would also appreciate it.

Much appreciation for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions. Thank you.

Jonathan spent a few days in Lisbon recently and loved it. We spent a week in northern Portugal a couple of summers ago and loved it. We did not get to Porto, but it is supposed to be great.

Hi Pauline & Jonathan, thanks so much for our comments. Pauline I've read a lot about Porto & seen youtube videos too. It's about 2.5 hours by trip from Lisbon so if I decide to go it'll have to be an overnight day trip. The more I read about Obidos & Evora the more I really want to see it. Evora has a train line (1.5hours) from Lisbon and Obidos I can take a bus (1hr 15 min). It would be a shorter day trip that one I took to Paestum. :)

I appreciate your replies.

We were in Lisbon in late October last year - but just for 5 nights, so didn't take any trips out of the city. But we packed in quite a few in-city experiences - I'll mention the best ones below.

Food & drink - very good value (much cheaper than Rome, Paris or London, just to mention a few other European capitals!). We ate really good, imaginatively prepared food at the tiny Taberna Rua das Flores (near Largo do Chiado), and at the larger, imaginatively decorated Pharmacia. And very traditional Lisbon fare at the smallish Primaveira do Jerónimo, in Bairro Alto. Do try a little glass of Ginjinha at the really tiny A Ginjinha hole-in-the-wall café, just round the corner from the big Rossio square. And a pre- or post-prandial drink at the extraordinary Bar Pavilhão Chines (at the top of Bairro Alto, surrounded by attractive antique shops) is a must if you like quirky/kitsch décor.

Hills - Lisbon is full of them! Enjoy the various ways to get up and down them, and the views from the higher bits. Good views from the Castelo de São Jorge (and you can wander down the hill through the narrow winding streets of the picturesque Alfama district afterwards); the Miradouro de Santa Caterina (close by the Pharmacia restaurant: great views of the river and the big 25 April bridge); the Elevador de Santa Justa (an extraordinary neo-Gothic iron tower with a super viewing platform on top).

Culture - the Gulbenkian Museum is relatively small, but everything in it is absolutely gorgeous. A shortish Metro ride from the centre. A slightly longer tram/suburban train ride from the Cais do Sodré station down by the river will take you to the Belém district: lots to see there. The Jerónimos Monastery is a treasure of the fabulously over-the-top decorated Manueline architecture; the Henry the Navigator monument and the Tower, both on the river, are worth seeing. And if you're feeling low on energy, stock up on the wonderful custard tarts at Antiga Confeitaria de Belém, where they claim to have invented them. (Queues for takeaways are often long, but there is a whole series of attractive rooms behind, with good table service, and lovely azulejos on the walls)

LX Factory - a fascinating area of old factories/warehouses which have been recently converted to shops, studios and artspaces, with a flea market on Sundays. A must-see shop is the Ler Devagar bookshop, with its industrial walkways and huge printing presses turned into installations for a café (and, next door, a restaurant). Also in LX Factory is Landeau Chocolate, where you can eat what Time Out calls 'the best chocolate cake in Lisbon'. I have to disagree - I think it's the best chocolate cake in the world... (and I've eaten quite a few in my time)

That should keep you busy for a few days!

Hi Jonathan, wow! Thank you so much for the time you took to write such a wonderful list of things to see & do and places to eat in Lisbon. My apartment is in Chiado so definitely going to Taberna Rua das Flores. I'm going to add all your recommendations on my google map. I'm bringing my GPS so hopefully I'll make sure to find all of your recommendations. It's always a hit & miss on places to eat so I really appreciate your recommendations. All the places look like they have great food and unique atmosphere.

I haven't read abou the LX Factory, so I will add your recommendations to my google map as well. I'm getting so excited now. Thanks so much Jonathan for your wonderful report (tips, recommendations & descriptions).

Pauline, I'll post where while I'm there. :)

Last edited:
I leave for Portugal tomorrow. Yay! I've added all of Jonathan's recommendations to my google map and "must see list". I'm going to post in Trip reports and will try to add my map. :) I'll post pics and updates when I get there.

I picked Porto & Obidos for my splurge overnight day trips, but I'll also go to Belem, Cascais, Cabo Da Roca, and Sintra for quick out and back day trips. Depending on whether I'm able to get my must see in Lisbon done I may attempt another day trip to Fatima which I really want to visit. I received another cool recommendation from Azahar for a food tour in Lisbon, I've never done one so I'm hoping our schedules will work out for me to do it.

Thank you so much everyone.

I'm very interested in Portugal so have been making inquiries and doing some research. Nice to hear you all like it so much. Not sure I can squeeze it in this year, but will seriously consider it for 2018.
Thank you for the information you posted!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina