• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lisbon tours

June is one of the best months to be visiting Lisboa! By any chance will you be here on or around the 13th? It's the biggest celebration of the year, Festa de Santo António!

Well, I'm on the Portugal wagon. Probably will fly to Lisbon but in March of 2018. I'm loving all these lists and info.
I'm leaning towards this apartment: https://www.vrbo.com/4155029ha#
It's in the Alfama area. Anyone have any feedback on it? The apartment or the neighborhood???
Marcia, Judy, BJ--where are you staying?

And where are you staying in Porto? I think we will go up there for 2 or 3 nights after Lisbon and fly from there to Roma.

We are staying at a hotel in Alfama after Shannon's tour. I will let you know when we get back about the area. Maybe a couple of people on this thread who have been to Portugal can give you better advice sooner. Shannon has us booked here in Porto: http://en.hoteldabolsa.com/

We are staying in one of the Chiado Apartments on Rua Garrett -- decided the hills of Alfama were too much for my old knees.

The apartment you found looks very comfy--love the balconies. My only question would be whether there is elevator access to the top floor apartment -- and if not, how many flights of stairs are involve.

It might say 'Alfama', but the actual location is a fair way further out from the centre than what I think of as the 'real' Alfama (the bit shaded brown on Google maps). Yes, nice views and a good price, but really quite a long walk from most of the centre.

Alfama is very hilly, with very narrow streets. I looked at booking an apartment there before we went to Lisboa for a month in the winter of 2016. I inquired about noise because I am a light sleeper. The owner told me that the apartment wouldn't work for me because the dumpsters were emptied at night nearby. I was happy I asked. But, the apartment I did rent through HomeAway, while spacious and lovely, was also not very quiet. I loved Lisboa, but ended up using sleeping pills every night just so I could sleep reasonably well.

Such great info--especially about the noise. My husband, especially, is very sensitive.
Jonathan--when you say "quite a walk" do you mean half an hour? longer? 15 minutes???

We don't mind stairs if there's no lift, Judy.
Thanks for the link, BJ.

It's a whole new world!

I don't know that area at all, jan: that was just my impression from looking at the vrbo map. But, putting it into Google Maps just now, it's 1.75 miles by the most direct (hilly) walking route to Baixa-Chiado metro: google suggests 39 minutes walking.

We stayed in Principe Real, in this apartment. It's on a quiet side street and we weren't bothered by noise. Higher floor is better if you're worried about noise, although old Lisbon buildings won't have elevators. It was only a short walk to streets with bars, shops etc. and convenient for trams too/

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina