• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Local Car Rental

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
With car rental prices being higher this year, and with the reduced pool of cars, I'd pretty much resigned myself to paying through the nose and just chalking it up to the new normal. In a previous thread I listed the costs of our rentals in Italy over the past few years, and @italian excursion mentioned that she rented locally. After checking the train schedules and thinking about logistics, using her guy in Orvieto wouldn't work for us, but I contacted a friend who has a car service in Marsciano, very near to where we're staying.

Luciano was the one who picked us and our 10 suitcase up at FCO when we moved to Italy in 2003, and before Covid hit I'd decided I was going to pay him to pick us up at the airport and then just rent a car at the Perugia airport. The idea of not having to drive for 2 1/2 hours after that overnight flight was really going to be a treat! Then cars were crazy expensive at the Perugia airport, so we just went with the moderately crazy prices at FCO and ditched the idea of a driver.

After Cheryl's suggestion I asked Luciano if he could find us something, and he was able to find us a rental for €29 per day, €250 deductible! We'll save several hundred dollars, even after we pay him to pick us up at FCO when we arrive.

I also want to give a shout-out to Auto Europe. When I called to cancel our Renault lease, I told them one of the reasons I was cancelling was because we couldn't drop off the car on Nov 1st (BIG holiday in Italy - the office at FCO is closed TWO days a year - Nov 1 and Dec 25). The womanat AE was very upset to hear that, and contacted Renault on our behalf to ensure that we could drop the car off on Nov 1. When I told her I still wanted to cancel she acknowledged that we were long-time customers and offered to reduce the cost of the lease by an additional $400!!! I had to reluctantly admit that we'd made other plans, but thanked her for going above and beyond. We'll use AE in the future and this is one of the reasons why.

With car rental prices being higher this year, and with the reduced pool of cars, I'd pretty much resigned myself to paying through the nose and just chalking it up to the new normal. In a previous thread I listed the costs of our rentals in Italy over the past few years, and @italian excursion mentioned that she rented locally. After checking the train schedules and thinking about logistics, using her guy in Orvieto wouldn't work for us, but I contacted a friend who has a car service in Marsciano, very near to where we're staying.

Luciano was the one who picked us and our 10 suitcase up at FCO when we moved to Italy in 2003, and before Covid hit I'd decided I was going to pay him to pick us up at the airport and then just rent a car at the Perugia airport. The idea of not having to drive for 2 1/2 hours after that overnight flight was really going to be a treat! Then cars were crazy expensive at the Perugia airport, so we just went with the moderately crazy prices at FCO and ditched the idea of a driver.

After Cheryl's suggestion I asked Luciano if he could find us something, and he was able to find us a rental for €29 per day, €250 deductible! We'll save several hundred dollars, even after we pay him to pick us up at FCO when we arrive.

I also want to give a shout-out to Auto Europe. When I called to cancel our Renault lease, I told them one of the reasons I was cancelling was because we couldn't drop off the car on Nov 1st (BIG holiday in Italy - the office at FCO is closed TWO days a year - Nov 1 and Dec 25). The womanat AE was very upset to hear that, and contacted Renault on our behalf to ensure that we could drop the car off on Nov 1. When I told her I still wanted to cancel she acknowledged that we were long-time customers and offered to reduce the cost of the lease by an additional $400!!! I had to reluctantly admit that we'd made other plans, but thanked her for going above and beyond. We'll use AE in the future and this is one of the reasons why.
Hiya 'Artnbarb',

I'm looking for people to tell me their disgruntled stories and bad experiences of soaring holiday car rental prices - I wondered if, since this post, car rental prices have this negatively affected your holiday plans? Or someone you know? Have you had to change holiday plans because of the cost of car rentals at the moment? Have you even been innovative and decided to hire your own car out during the holiday season having realised you can make a fortune doing so?

It would be great if you could get in touch - if you fancy being part of our BriteSpark Films' C4 Dispatches documentary!
My email is: geeta.wedderburn@britesparkfilms.com

You can also phone me on: 07923071603 if you have any more questions!

Hiya 'Artnbarb',

I'm looking for people to tell me their disgruntled stories and bad experiences of soaring holiday car rental prices - I wondered if, since this post, car rental prices have this negatively affected your holiday plans? Or someone you know? Have you had to change holiday plans because of the cost of car rentals at the moment? Have you even been innovative and decided to hire your own car out during the holiday season having realised you can make a fortune doing so?

It would be great if you could get in touch - if you fancy being part of our BriteSpark Films' C4 Dispatches documentary!
My email is: geeta.wedderburn@britesparkfilms.com

You can also phone me on: 07923071603 if you have any more questions!
I don't have a 'disgruntled story' to tell! Renting locally was much more affordable than renting through AutoEurope, and we didn't have to change plans at all.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina