• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Local Customs

Sara

10+ Posts
Do you usually try to delve into local customs and traditions when exploring a certain country? Do you try to "blend in" if it's possible?

Also, on a more practical note, is there a section within the forum where it's possible to discuss the cultural aspect of the countries? When possible, I personally like to experience a certain reality, not just travel through touristic landmarks. (I'm fairly new here, sorry if it's OT.)

Well, "blending in" is not quite possible on our trips to Italy, as my Italian is very poor. So it's obvious we're tourists, if only for that reason.
OTOH, local fairs and events are definitely always on our itinerary. Where local vendors/shops are involved, I think they are mostly happy to see customers, whoever they may be, and if possible, we always like to engage in a conversation and learn more about the sellers and products.
We stay much of the vacation on agriturismi, and I usually try to lend a hand for a few hours with the farm work, if there is an opportunity.

Well, "blending in" is not quite possible on our trips to Italy, as my Italian is very poor. So it's obvious we're tourists, if only for that reason.
OTOH, local fairs and events are definitely always on our itinerary. Where local vendors/shops are involved, I think they are mostly happy to see customers, whoever they may be, and if possible, we always like to engage in a conversation and learn more about the sellers and products.
We stay much of the vacation on agriturismi, and I usually try to lend a hand for a few hours with the farm work, if there is an opportunity.
That's so nice! What a great way of interacting, helping with farm work!

As for the language I totally understand, in fact I put "blend in" between double quotes. It's definitely hard to be involved in a certain culture if you don't know what the locals are saying! I honestly think, though, that sometimes making a bit of research before leaving for a country can help in that sense. I might not be able to understand what locals are saying, but if I try to learn something about their customs, visit corners of the country "off the beaten path" and go to local shops instead of sticking to "the big chains" can help!

We always like to figure out the local cafe culture, if that is the way to say it - how the cafes work and to hang about in them for a bit. My husband Steve is very good with languages and tries to speak in the local language as much as he can (his Italian and French are excellent, German is getting better, but he is a beginner with Hebrew). That makes a big difference for being able to chat with shop owners.

And those who know me will snort at this, but I always dress better when we travel so I don't look too casual, so I fit in. But, I'll never fit in with Italy, because I am just too tall and northern European looking.

We always like to figure out the local cafe culture, if that is the way to say it - how the cafes work and to hang about in them for a bit. My husband Steve is very good with languages and tries to speak in the local language as much as he can (his Italian and French are excellent, German is getting better, but he is a beginner with Hebrew). That makes a big difference for being able to chat with shop owners.

And those who know me will snort at this, but I always dress better when we travel so I don't look too casual, so I fit in. But, I'll never fit in with Italy, because I am just too tall and northern European looking.

Knowing the local language surely helps A LOT while travelling.

As for the coffee culture, I have to say that I've noticed that there are a lot of false myths that float around the Internet concerning the Italian one...I am just about to publish in my blog an article about the Cappuccino and the infamous "11am rule" It's surely better to hang out in local cafes and see how things really work in this case, as you do.

I am naturally interested in local customs although I don't adopt all of them. Quite simply I don't know all of them.

But I find it actually facilitates my travel experience if we make an effort to adopt to local customs.
One custom that leaps to mind is the matter of meal-time. What time do the locals eat? I don't like to eat in an empty restaurant.
Another custom, also related to eating, is a meal format. The French don't snack so much but they eat a bigger meal. Many restaurants are not so flexible about people sharing a main dish. Again, why fight it? It is easier - in that it offers us a bigger possibility of enjoyment - if we adjust to a culture instead of trying to try to get a culture to adjust to us.

Ditto, siesta time in the Mediterranean cultures.
The first time I visited Europe, I used to do a lot of sightseeing after lunch, only to find that many places were closed anyway, while I schlepped in the oppressive summer heat. So I started napping too, and get up when the city was getting up again, and have a later dinner. -- Again, when I made this adjustment toward the local culture, life became soother.

And I agree with Pauline, in particular on 2 points:

- the cafés. They are a central point of many cultures (especially urban cultures). I always advise that visitors should get themselves adopted by a café, instead of the other way around. Get the waitstaff and the patron to recognize you and remember your dailyi orders the next day, or the next year.

I also agree with Pauline that in Europe, when we go out, we have a going-out way of dressing. It's still casual, but European-casual, not as casual as some other countries. David Sedaris famously points out that some [visitors from a certain country) look as though they were taking out the garbage and suddenly decided to go to the airport and fly to Europe. We don't need to overdress and worry about matching handbag and shoes, but at least in a restaurant we should not stick out for dressing badly.
Btw, none of these local customs are language-dependent.

Yes, I do in Europe. In Asia it is hard. Most of the people you meet in Asia are to take advantage of tourists.

This last Fall my wife and I spent a month in Europe without ever renting a car. For the most part, we traveled by train and it gave us the opportunity to chat with locals, learn a little of their culture, and practice our remedial Italian. Technology can be an ice breaker. One older gentleman on the train to Siena had a fun time asking us questions about California and where we had been in Italy. He only spoke Italian and I speak very little. When we got stuck, I would type something into Google Translate on my phone, hand it to him and he would reply. On a previous trip, we needed to buy stamps at a little, local post office near Scandiano but weren't sure how to ask specifically for what we needed. I typed the question into my iPad, translated it to Italian, and showed it to the clerk. Her bureaucratic demeanor changed to a broad smile and she called the other clerks over to see. Everyone, including the other patrons had a laugh and a head shake.

Hi Sara
My understanding of cappuccino, is that there is no 11am rule, however the frothy milk serves the purpose of driving off hunger, so it is mostly taken in the morning, but could be taken in afternoon without raising any eyebrows.

However I was told a story about someone from Australia being invited to a big meal at a house in Italy. At the end of the meal, they were asked if they'd like un caffè, to which they said they'd have a cappuccino. Rather a faux pas, it being the equivalent of saying "the host hasn't fed me enough food, so I need a cappuccino to feel fuller". It ended in laughter, as they had it explained to them.

Regards
Ian

I do the same @Pauline ...dress better when I'm on vacation!!

I realized that when traveling to a country that you do not speak the language, one thing you must do is to learn some basic expressions like hello, thank you, please. When in France a few years ago I found that just saying these simple expression in French goes a long way and people respect that you attempt to speak their language.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina