• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Locorotondo (Puglia) in August, September & October

Bill Sansone

We're planning to spend August through the end of October in Puglia this year. We're experienced independent travellers in Italy, so we know how crazy it gets in August. That said, we're thinking about finding a small apartment in Locorotondo for our "home base". I've already collected information from the usual sources on the internet (Slow Travel, TripAdvisor, etc.). I'd appreciate any other suggestions, advice or references. Grazie.

Bill, we've spent much of the last 7 Augusts in Ostuni, where we have a little house. Yes, it's a very busy time (but it's the time of year when we're both free) - but things start thinning out a bit after Ferragosto in the middle of the month: quite a few of the Roman visitors staying in all those vacation complexes on the coast start heading for home. And once you get to the beginning of September, it's lovely: the beaches are still plenty warm enough for swimming - and you can actually find a place on the sand!

Locorotondo is a very attractive town, well placed for exploring the pretty Valle d'Itria. Once you get to the (Adriatic) coast road, it's quick and easy to drive up to Bari or down to Lecce; the roads in the middle are quite a lot slower.

If you've got any more specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Bill, we've spent much of the last 7 Augusts in Ostuni, where we have a little house. Yes, it's a very busy time (but it's the time of year when we're both free) - but things start thinning out a bit after Ferragosto in the middle of the month: quite a few of the Roman visitors staying in all those vacation complexes on the coast start heading for home. And once you get to the beginning of September, it's lovely: the beaches are still plenty warm enough for swimming - and you can actually find a place on the sand!

Locorotondo is a very attractive town, well placed for exploring the pretty Valle d'Itria. Once you get to the (Adriatic) coast road, it's quick and easy to drive up to Bari or down to Lecce; the roads in the middle are quite a lot slower.

If you've got any more specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Thanks, Jonathan for your reply. It confirms our expectations for mid August through the end of October. We've also looked at Ostuni which also appears to be the right size town for us. We're hoping to find a reasonably priced one-bedroom apartment to rent...preferably within walking distance of the town's piazza and historic district. Any insights or advice about Ostuni or other small towns. We're especially interested in local cultural events and sagras that aren't well publicized. Thanks in advance.

Locorotondo is a lovely town somewhat in the center, and would make a good base. If you want to base a little further south,I also loved Galatina. My favorite place in all of southern Puglia was Gallipoli. But not as a base because it is not central. Just make sure to visit it in a daytrip.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina